I'm new to recording audio, and need some starting equipment.

Charles Atlas

I've been all over the place trying to find the answers to my questions. Maybe you guys could help me out with some answers that I can't seem to find. Here's what I want to end up with: A recording interface with four xlr mic pre amps, four mics (duh), and the ability for everyone at a microphone to have headphones to monitor the audio. I know that probably sounds pretty basic, but I have had a ton of trouble finding out which piece of hardware is the best one as an interface. The other thing is that I am operating on a tight budget.

From my recent surfing of the internet I know that this will probably start a lively debate on what hardware is superior, so I'll just add what I have been looking at.

AT 2020 or 2035 for the mics, pretty much set on these.
This thing to split the audio output.
And the Akai eie as an interface. This is just about the price range that works for me, but I just want to get something that will operate reliably. Has anyone used this interface? Should it be avoided at all costs? Is there an alternative in this price range that is better?

Thanks a lot in advance, this is the type of hardware I am really not familiar with.

I think you're off to a good start. Never used the Akai or heard whether there are issues or not, but these days most consumer level interfaces are very similar in quality and function. If there are issues with it, it will most likely be the quality of the driver. Not saying there is...

The headphone amp will work for you.

Are you looking at having four SEPARATE monitor mixes? Or would one monitor mix that could be sent to four headphones work? Because if it's the first, you might need to invest in a headphone distribution amp. If it's the latter, you can easily buy just a cheap $20 Behringer headphone amp that has 4 headphone outputs.

But anyway, like Chili said, doesn't look like you've got a bad selection for starting gear at all. May I ask what kind of music you're looking to record? By the looks of your mic selection and the requirements you've listed, it looks kinda like you'd be doing an a capella group, but I could be way off.

By the looks of your mic selection and the requirements you've listed, it looks kinda like you'd be doing an a capella group, but I could be way off.

That's what I thought, too. Which is why I didn't suggest a 2 channel interface.

The OP should start out simple with a single monitor mix sent to 4 sets of phones. There's plenty of cheap headphone amps with four stereo outs.

I am looking to record speaking only, we're trying to start a podcast, as well as doing some voice over work for videos.

Since my first post I've also come across this as a possible interface.

For the playback I'd like for all the headphone outs to be receiving the same signal from the mixer of all the tracks.

If it's for speaking only, I'd be WAAAAAY more likely to recommend a dynamic mic instead of a condenser. The industry standard mics for doing things like radio are an RE20 and the SM7b, both of which are dynamic mics ($450 and $380, respectively).

Obviously, if you can't afford those, I'd recommend something simple like four SM58s ($100 each). Condenser mics are going to pick up a ton of room noise and bleed between the four of you talking. I've run podcasts out of my recording studio I work at, and we honestly haven't even needed headphones for it, and every time we've used a pair of RE20s and SM7bs, and it sounds fantastic. If all you're doing is talking and you won't be playing any music or anything like that, headphones are just going to be a useless investment, because you're all just going to be talking to each other anyway.

I have read of issues with the EIE.
I have had M-Audio products for years and have had very few problems.

Roland also do 4mic input AI that gets a good rep.

Dave.

Only issues I've heard of with the EIE was for some reason, it doesn't work with Pro Tools, even if you're using version 9+.

What have you heard, ecc?

Only issues I've heard of with the EIE was for some reason, it doesn't work with Pro Tools, even if you're using version 9+.

What have you heard, ecc?

Well, I wanted one when they were first announced some time ago but Akai, despite many emails, could not supply me with any decent information and it took the product ages to get to market.
Then, they reneged on the original specc' and produce two versions, the cheaper one being only 16bit and I do not think 4track capable?

Then, the unit LOOKS cool! It would seem to fit a market niche and should have done a hot cakes job. It hasn't and I just wonder why?

Despite being a massive electronics concern Akai could not be bothered originally to have proper ASIO drivers done, tho' that at least now has been rectified. No idea how good the drivers are however?

All in all, the M-A Quad is about the same money so unless there is a specific feature of the EIE you need I would go for the M-Audio.

Dave.

Back