Im a little lost... I need an analogue recording rockin dude's expert opinion

Chief_Greco

Ill make this as short as possible..

I have a ZOOMG3X with a MALE XLR at the back
I have a BEHRINGER UMA25S MIDI keyboard with a MIDI IN and no XLR (ouch)
I have a SHURE 57 with a male XLR at the back
I use fl studio 10

I want to record all my guitars and bass through the SHURE 57 and my tube amp in FL10.. i want an analogue sound.... Is the uma25s for me? or am i better off selling it? is it more for EDM and stuff? or can i buy a mixer to fix the no XLR problem? one with a sound card possibly??

Is the ZOOM G3X good at recording with a mic through DAW's? so Far via USB its ok. low latency on my crappy laptop.... but i want to hear the feedback, harmonics and bell like sounds from my tube amp and fender american standard strat.

I'm assuming that i need an external sound card for the XLR inputs and analogue quality i seek... can you please recommend a good one at a reasonable price with 1-2 inputs? and if id be better off selling the UMA 25 and ditching the mixer idea for the external sound card...

hope everyone is having a good summer!

Not to mention...the XLR on the ZOOMG3X is an OUPUT...not a mic INPUT....so that 57 is not going to connect to the ZOOMG3X.

Just out of curiosity...what is the "analogue sound" you are seeking?
I mean...your entire rig (except for the 57) is digital....so maybe you want to consider a different path...?

ALL you need to record that amplifier is an interface to accept the '57 and a set of decent closed back headphones to harken unto it all.

The cheapest interface I know about of any real use is the Alesis i02 Express, rather better for a bit more dosh is the Steinberg UR22. Audio interfaces are legion but since you mentioned MIDI it makes sense to get one so equipped.

Getting a good guitar tone "in the can" is tricky but you won't be able to blame any of the above kit!

Dave.

I have a ZOOMG3X with a MALE XLR at the back
That XLR is an output that is meant to plug the pedal into an audio interface

I have a BEHRINGER UMA25S MIDI keyboard with a MIDI IN and no XLR (ouch)
That is a midi output, not an input. The only thing that does is allow you to play virtual instruments once it's hooked up to your computer (or external sound module) It does not handle audio at all.
I have a SHURE 57 with a male XLR at the back
Yup.
I use fl studio 10
fine. But you don't have an audio interface. Nothing you have will take a mic signal and get it into a computer. ECC83 gave some good suggestions about what interfaces to get on a budget.

I want to record all my guitars and bass through the SHURE 57 and my tube amp in FL10.. i want an analogue sound.... Is the uma25s for me?
That is a midi controller, it has no sound, and doesn't do anything with sound. You press a key and it sends a midi note to something that does make sound. BTW, if you are using a computer, it isn't analog.

or am i better off selling it? is it more for EDM and stuff? or can i buy a mixer to fix the no XLR problem? one with a sound card possibly??
A midi controller is not genre specific. What you can do with it depends on what you plug it into. If you use it to control an orchestra patch, you could do film scores. If you use it to control a toy piano patch, you could do children's music, etc...

Is the ZOOM G3X good at recording with a mic through DAW's?
No, because you can't plug a mic into it. It is not an audio interface, it is an amp sim/effects pedal that allows you to plug into a computer and record. But it will only let you record itself.

I'm assuming that i need an external sound card for the XLR inputs and analogue quality i seek...
Yes, but again, it won't be analog.

can you please recommend a good one at a reasonable price with 1-2 inputs?
See ECC83's post

and if id be better off selling the UMA 25 and ditching the mixer idea for the external sound card...
The UMA25 is a midi controller. If you ever want to put keyboard parts on anything, you will want to keep it. The mixer is useless unless you have an audio interface to plug it into.

Last edited:
If you Google the interfaces I mentioned you can go to the mnfctr's website and download the user handbook for the devices. You can do this for virtually all AIs and other gear (in fact, if a company *&^!s you about for a book, don't deal with them!) .
Such manuals almost all give hook up diagrams and useful information about recording.
This IS a technical game but far, far easier than it was just 5 years ago! Get reading.

Dave.

Back