I'm coming out of retirement.

camn

I think.
I bought new gear- so that's a start :)
I have a question:

What software do people use now?

Context?
-I made a lot of records back in the day.
-I felt very good with Cubase/Nuendo/Pro-tools.
BUT it has been 6 years, and I am not really up to date.
Also, Im not really recording 16 tracks at a time either ... so I am kind of starting from scratch.

I still have my mics- so I got little interface and some monitors, and I need to get back into things.

My needs? Acoustic inputs, electronic drums, and full production capability from start to finish. Only minimal MIDI.

So, What do people use, these days?

Thanks.
Hello, by the way, old-timers.

I think.
I bought new gear- so that's a start :)
I have a question:

What software do people use now?

Context?
-I made a lot of records back in the day.
-I felt very good with Cubase/Nuendo/Pro-tools.
BUT it has been 6 years, and I am not really up to date.
Also, Im not really recording 16 tracks at a time either ... so I am kind of starting from scratch.

I still have my mics- so I got little interface and some monitors, and I need to get back into things.

My needs? Acoustic inputs, electronic drums, and full production capability from start to finish. Only minimal MIDI.

So, What do people use, these days?

Thanks.
Hello, by the way, old-timers.

Hi!

People still use Cubase / Nuendo / ProTools. If that's what you're familiar with, stick with it. If you have it that is. If not and budget is a constrait, check Reaper. Fully functional unlimited free trial and then it only costs $60 anyway.

Interface, depends upon what you already have and what you're aspiring to create....

By "electronic drums" are you talking about a kit? In which case you'd thump away on that in via MIDI to your DAW and probably use one of the various sample libraries (Addictive / Steven Slate / Superior Drums - there are others) for the actual sounds.

Hope that's helpful, youngster.... :D

Not an electronic kit- but hand programmed... probably imported from my partners back home.

And I only have Audacity at this point.
I sold everything, packed up my life and moved to the desert. I sold all my replaceable gear. Kept my mics, of course.. but everything else is gone.

I'll try Reaper.

If you have no plans of doing large numbers of tracks at a time, try Focusrite's 2i4 (the 2i2 has no midi) or Tascam's US366. My personal favorite (just redid my studio, too) was the NI KA6, but I ended up with a Tascam US1800 cause I though I'd need more inputs later... If you have a slightly bigger budget, shoot up to RME or the Tascam 7000 with it's HDIA preamps.
Monitors are a hugely personal preference thing. Really depends on the size of the control room. Anything from Adam A3x (25W) to M-Audio M3-8s (220W). Too much will bite you in the nodes, too little will make your bass miserable. One of my personal faves was the Behringer B3031A. Great sound, small price. Depending on budget, though, there are some really nice units out there. I was limited to $600 for the pair, so went all out for the M-Audio M3-8s, but I'm wishing I hadn't gotten so much power. It's cost me a lot of time in the setup and acoustic treatment departments. JBL's LSR308's also get a lot of nods. If budget allows, jump to the 4328's or smaller Genelec's (M040...) or the infamous Neuman KH 120's all out of my league, but alas, you've left us no budget, so we'll talk about good and great.
Steven Slate Drums is still on sale for $99. Saw another drum kit type software the other day that has just gone completely free, but don't remember the name and can't find it googling (not much help there, sorry).
Anyway, hope my ramble has been of some use.

Hi Camn,
+1 for the KA6. Very low latency, super solid drivers. Gets you a Cubase "lite" but could be all you need for now and anyway you get a few bob off an upgrade.
Two excellent mic pres, MIDI and S/PDIF plus two more balanced line ins so you can expand very easily with a small mixer.

If you think you might go for a lot more tracks in the future it might be worth looking at an AI with ADAT?

Don't know WTF NI don't do one!!!!

Dave.

Thanks for the recs, fellas.
Hardware is no problem, though.. I am sorted.

Its SOFTWARE that I need an update on!
I'm going to try this REAPER.

I'm going to try this REAPER.

You will like it.

Download it here: REAPER | Download

:)

If not and budget is a constrait, check Reaper. Fully functional unlimited free trial and then it only costs $60 anyway.
By the way, I think their free trial is not unlimited anymore. I just checked their site and look what I found:

"Download and evaluate REAPER for up to 60 days with full functionality before purchasing a license."

:rolleyes:

Nope, always has said that, you just get a nag screen after 60 days and have to keep pushing the Still Evaluating button. Finally purchased mine and got rid of it when I got SSD and had an actual use for a DAW outside of Reason.

Back