If my vsti's and vst's are not in use, can they still things down?

Lonedroner

If my vsti's and vst's are not in use, can they still slow things down

If my vsti's and vst's are not in use, can they still slow things down? I'm an old analog guy just now dipping my toesies into all of these 0's and 1's. I use a pc with i7 and windows 10 on a 2tb drive. I picked up Samplitude Music Studio 2016, Komplete 10, and T-racks Max along with the Sonivox harmonica. When these items are not being used on one of the tracks, do they still slow everything down if they are on the same drive? I'm more of a songwriter and like committing myself to effects as I go along, so maybe that will help. By the way, you longtime digital recording guys are great for sharing your experience with others. Thanks a heapload.

Last edited:
No. Until you instantiate a plugin in your DAW, they are not like running in the background or anything, so shouldn't impact your system performance any more than any other file you might save to your computer which is to say almost not at all.

I have not checked out the current version of Samplitude Music Studio but the "music studio" softwares tended to be aimed at the "prosumer" not perhaps the more serious home recordist?

I suggest you download the trial of Samplitude Pro X ll. Expensive? Yes but there is a very cut down version, Sam Pro X Silver which nonetheless retains most of the "pro" features of the biggy.

I do wish and I KEEP asking! MAGIX, why not a 50-80 quid version of Sam ProX please? I also always find it interesting that no hardware, AFAIK, has a Samplitude version bundled with it? Missing a huge market there IMHO.

Dave.

Actually Samplitude Music Studio 2016 is a slimmer version of the Pro X series. For a musician/songwriter it might very well be all you'll ever need. It has the same audio engine as Pro X. I'm too lazy to type out all of the features, but they can be found here: MAGIX Samplitude Music Studio ? All Features The Silver edition would be fantastic for someone on a seriously limited budget. It's still free and you can check it out at recordingstudio9.com along with some other free daw options. Pro X3 just came out, so I'll be saving my pennies.

Last edited:
Actually Samplitude Music Studio 2016 is a slimmer version of the Pro X series. For a musician/songwriter it might very well be all you'll ever need. It has the same audio engine as Pro X. I'm too lazy to type out all of the features, but they can be found here: MAGIX Samplitude Music Studio ? All Features The Silver edition would be fantastic for someone on a seriously limited budget. It's still free and you can check it out at recordingstudio9.com along with some other free daw options. Pro X3 just came out, so I'll be saving my pennies.

That is VERY confusing ! MAGIX "Music Studio" product always used to be a bit, well, "ToysRus" compared to Samplitude. You obviously know a lot more than I do about the products. I have used Sam SE8 for years* but a recent download of W10 and subsequent re set back to W7 lost the activation and I have not so far been able to blag another go off MAGIX! Truth be told though, SE8 was a bit clunky on W7 so I very well might splash out on Music Studio. Meantime I am going to see if there is a free trial of ProX3!

*Well, I am no musician, he buggered off to France (and seems to be living La Dolci Vita playing in the seaside bars and cafes and doing a bit of teaching). My use is for diagnostics and editing stuff from the telly and radio.

Dave.

I think I see the reason for the confusion. Prior to 2016 there was a Magix Music Studio and a Magix Samplitude Music Studio. I must say that there are a lot of software developers that could use a little help when it comes to marketing. I watched a lot of those "getting started with..." for the various DAW's, and Samplitude kind of "clicked" with me, both the sound and the workflow. I also considered Studio One Artist, but the lack of support for 3rd party plugins concerned me. The less time I spend playing with the computer, the more time I can focus on the music. By the way, if I had one of them fancy phones, I could use a Magix app to play/stop/record on MSMS away from the desk. Cool! As I've said before, I'm not very tech savvy, so if anyone would please let me know how to create a new paragraph, I would certainly appreciate it.

Hey Loney! I have just been emailed by MAGIX. You need save n'more squire. You can get Sam Por X3 AND Sony Sound Forge for just £149.99 if you crack on and get it before Oct 4th.

I don't need it, won't use it but REALLY want to get this!

Dave.

Back