I want to turn my Laptop into a Recording Studio. Need advice pleace!!

Jose_Man

I want to turn my Laptop in a Recording studio. Need Advice!

Guyz..Need advice on turning my Laptop in a Recording Studio.

First here are my laptop features.

TOSHIBA
Pentium 4 , Proc. 1.8
60 GB. Hd
512 Ram
CD/RW
Mic input (stereo)

So...What do you recomend me to buy...

Help me with these. Tell me Wich one you think is the best.

- Recording Software ( I already have ACID 4.0 , it's really good but Name others you think are better).

- Proffesional Headphones. (These I don't have...I only have this pair of shitty Headset to play Counter-Strike with ).

- Pre - Amp (POD XT) is there another good one??

- Sound Blinkets (To keep an Isolated space..since My place is too open )..I was thinking in recording the Vocals inside my Bathroom...to keep the Accoustics...What do you think?? )

- A mic for recording Vocals & Accoustic Guitars...( I have a condenser sony Mic. It's really good, anywayss...wich one you think it's good?? ).

Is it a Bad Idea pluggin the POD to the Mic input on the laptop??...everybody says so...can you explain me why???...in simple terms please

Is that All I need?? TO turn my laptop in a Recording studio???

Peace
Jose.

Jose_Man said:
I want to turn my Laptop in a Recording studio. Need Advice!

- Recording Software ( I already have ACID 4.0 , it's really good but Name others you think are better).

I don't use ACID, but as far as i know, its more of a program for working with loops and such, not multitrack recording. Could be wrong though. Basically, if it does what you want it to, keep using it. Everyone has a different favorite recording program, and it could be debated forever which is "better".

- Pre - Amp (POD XT) is there another good one??

This'll work fine for recording your guitars, but when it comes time to do vocals, percussion, or acoustic guitars, its not gonna help you out.

- Sound Blinkets (To keep an Isolated space..since My place is too open )..I was thinking in recording the Vocals inside my Bathroom...to keep the Accoustics...What do you think?? )

I'd stick this at the end of your list of things to worry about right now. Get your equipment up and running, then if it sounds bad, start working on that.

- A mic for recording Vocals & Accoustic Guitars...( I have a condenser sony Mic. It's really good, anywayss...wich one you think it's good?? ).

Same thing as with the software, if its working good for you, no use in changing it....yet.

Is it a Bad Idea pluggin the POD to the Mic input on the laptop??...everybody says so...can you explain me why???...in simple terms please

In simple terms...because it will sound like ass :) Putting a high quality soundcard into a laptop is about the last thing they think of, because, well, its a laptop. Right now, since you have a mic, and the POD for your guitars, i'd recommend spending your money on a USB or Firewire (if your computer supports it) external soundcard. This will sound a hundred times better than the mic in on your laptop, and in some cases will allow you to record more than one track at a time, and maybe give you a few preamps too. M-Audio, Edirol, and Tascam make them, along with others i'm sure. Personally, I use the Tascam US-224, should run you about $250. Hope this helps.

travis

Thanx for the links guyz! you rock.

SPINTERWUN...what do you mean how fast??!

You mean the Processor?!??! it's 1.8 GHz.

Peace
Jose

No, he means the hard drive. Most laptops' hard drives only spin at 4500 RPM, partly to save power. Some of the newer Dell laptops have 5400 RPM drives, but desktop computers usually have at least 7200 RPM drives for recording audio or video, with some SCSI drives available at up to 15,000 RPM. The speed of rotation of the drive, along with its access time, will determine how many tracks you can record and play back simultaneously... Steve

knightfly said:
No, he means the hard drive. Most laptops' hard drives only spin at 4500 RPM, partly to save power. Some of the newer Dell laptops have 5400 RPM drives, but desktop computers usually have at least 7200 RPM drives for recording audio or video, with some SCSI drives available at up to 15,000 RPM. The speed of rotation of the drive, along with its access time, will determine how many tracks you can record and play back simultaneously... Steve

Duuuude!...I didn't understand a word of what you just said :(

What are RPM?? Revolutions Per Minute??

And what do you mean, that if it's 7200RPM I can get something...(like A sound card) so it goes to 15,000RPM???

and That would make the sound quality better?

:S I'm kinda lost here...I just know I plug My Mic to the Computer and Record My accoustic/Voice/2nd Guitar /Etc....track by track with ACID pro.

That's as far as I go. I don't know ANYTHING more than that...I'm just waiting to buy my POD so I can start recording with my Electric guitar as well.

Peace
Jose

Jose_Man said:
Duuuude!...I didn't understand a word of what you just said :(

What are RPM?? Revolutions Per Minute??

And what do you mean, that if it's 7200RPM I can get something...(like A sound card) so it goes to 15,000RPM???

and That would make the sound quality better?

:S I'm kinda lost here...I just know I plug My Mic to the Computer and Record My accoustic/Voice/2nd Guitar /Etc....track by track with ACID pro.

That's as far as I go. I don't know ANYTHING more than that...I'm just waiting to buy my POD so I can start recording with my Electric guitar as well.

Peace
Jose
Revolutions per minute...YES
SCSI is a controller card to use with SCSI drives...not a necessity.
No it will not make anything sound better.
A 5400 drive will work...just a little slow for anything more than 12 tracks stereo.
However, laptops are not the ideal PC's for recording.

I'd love to help but right now I'm trying to turn my pc into a recording studio, if you get any incredable advice please pass it along to me. ( I need all the help I can Get too!)

Back