Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I want to turn my Laptop into a Recording Studio. Need advice pleace!!

Jose_Man is offline Newbie

Exclamation I want to turn my Laptop into a Recording Studio. Need advice pleace!!

Sign in to disable this ad
    I want to turn my Laptop in a Recording studio. Need Advice!

Guyz..Need advice on turning my Laptop in a Recording Studio.

First here are my laptop features.

TOSHIBA
    Pentium 4 , Proc. 1.8
    60 GB. Hd
    512 Ram
    CD/RW
    Mic input (stereo)

So...What do you recomend me to buy...

Help me with these. Tell me Wich one you think is the best.

- Recording Software ( I already have ACID 4.0 , it's really good but Name others you think are better).

- Proffesional Headphones. (These I don't have...I only have this pair of shitty Headset to play Counter-Strike with ).

- Pre - Amp (POD XT) is there another good one??

- Sound Blinkets (To keep an Isolated space..since My place is too open )..I was thinking in recording the Vocals inside my Bathroom...to keep the Accoustics...What do you think?? )

- A mic for recording Vocals & Accoustic Guitars...( I have a condenser sony Mic. It's really good, anywayss...wich one you think it's good?? ).

Is it a Bad Idea pluggin the POD to the Mic input on the laptop??...everybody says so...can you explain me why???...in simple terms please

Is that All I need?? TO turn my laptop in a Recording studio???

Peace
    Jose.

ignition is offline Senior Member

Re: I want to turn my Laptop into a Recording Studio. Need advice pleace!!

Originally posted by Jose_Man
    I want to turn my Laptop in a Recording studio. Need Advice!

- Recording Software ( I already have ACID 4.0 , it's really good but Name others you think are better).
    I don't use ACID, but as far as i know, its more of a program for working with loops and such, not multitrack recording. Could be wrong though. Basically, if it does what you want it to, keep using it. Everyone has a different favorite recording program, and it could be debated forever which is "better".

- Pre - Amp (POD XT) is there another good one??
    This'll work fine for recording your guitars, but when it comes time to do vocals, percussion, or acoustic guitars, its not gonna help you out.

- Sound Blinkets (To keep an Isolated space..since My place is too open )..I was thinking in recording the Vocals inside my Bathroom...to keep the Accoustics...What do you think?? )
    I'd stick this at the end of your list of things to worry about right now. Get your equipment up and running, then if it sounds bad, start working on that.

- A mic for recording Vocals & Accoustic Guitars...( I have a condenser sony Mic. It's really good, anywayss...wich one you think it's good?? ).
    Same thing as with the software, if its working good for you, no use in changing it....yet.

Is it a Bad Idea pluggin the POD to the Mic input on the laptop??...everybody says so...can you explain me why???...in simple terms please
    In simple terms...because it will sound like ass Putting a high quality soundcard into a laptop is about the last thing they think of, because, well, its a laptop. Right now, since you have a mic, and the POD for your guitars, i'd recommend spending your money on a USB or Firewire (if your computer supports it) external soundcard. This will sound a hundred times better than the mic in on your laptop, and in some cases will allow you to record more than one track at a time, and maybe give you a few preamps too. M-Audio, Edirol, and Tascam make them, along with others i'm sure. Personally, I use the Tascam US-224, should run you about $250. Hope this helps.

travis

James Argo is offline Fancy Rock N' Roll
    Coffee shop around DC-Maryland-Virginia...

Wink

Some good link...

http://www.pcrecording.com/

Jaymz
    Keep Rockin' and Rollin'...
    intel Q9550 Quad Core, MSI P45 Neo3-FR, 8GB DDR2-800, Win7 Ult x64, Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 PE, Adobe Audition 3, Peavey StudioMix, M-Audio Delta 1010LT, WDC 80GB SSD + WDC 500GB + WDC 2x2TB, GTX440 + Dual 19" LCD.

James Argo is offline Fancy Rock N' Roll
    Coffee shop around DC-Maryland-Virginia...

Thumbs up

Keep Rockin' and Rollin'...
    intel Q9550 Quad Core, MSI P45 Neo3-FR, 8GB DDR2-800, Win7 Ult x64, Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 PE, Adobe Audition 3, Peavey StudioMix, M-Audio Delta 1010LT, WDC 80GB SSD + WDC 500GB + WDC 2x2TB, GTX440 + Dual 19" LCD.

SPINSTERWUN is offline Been Here, Posted That
    spinsta1 does not rest upon "it" an essential condition of the subject, a condition that has been detached from the 'they'; "it" is rather an existentiell modification of the 'they', of the 'they' as an essential existentiale.
    Here are some USB audio interfaces for you to view......

http://www.midiman.net/products/m-audio/USBaudio.php

spinsta1 does not rest upon "it" an essential condition of the subject, a condition that has been detached from the 'they'; "it" is rather an existentiell modification of the 'they', of the 'they' as an essential existentiale.

Thumbs up

Here are some more links for you........

http://www.phys.tue.nl/people/etimme...ordingFAQ.html

.......- Proffesional Headphones. (These I don't have...I only have this pair of shitty Headset to play Counter-Strike with ). .....
    Press here for info on your question...... :-)

Peace...

spin

.....First here are my laptop features. ......
    How fast is the Hard Drive on the laptop?????
    Peace...

spin

Jose_Man is offline Newbie
    Thanx for the links guyz! you rock.

SPINTERWUN...what do you mean how fast??!

You mean the Processor?!??! it's 1.8 GHz.

Peace
    Jose

knightfly is offline GrouchyOldFartOnBatteries
    No, he means the hard drive. Most laptops' hard drives only spin at 4500 RPM, partly to save power. Some of the newer Dell laptops have 5400 RPM drives, but desktop computers usually have at least 7200 RPM drives for recording audio or video, with some SCSI drives available at up to 15,000 RPM. The speed of rotation of the drive, along with its access time, will determine how many tracks you can record and play back simultaneously... Steve
    Hey, I thought this was gonna be EASY!??!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information