I want to record my guitar tracks. I'm new to this and need your opinion

Hi Dave,
The volume of the guitar was going at around 3/4 of the meter, i think it was a bit higher than -18 dBFS. What was clipping is the metronome that I had to put all the way up when I was recording to hear it properly over the guitar (which is muted in the track i sent in dropbox). It was always clipping. I sent it in mp3 for an opinion since it's smaller and faster to send and download but yes it is recorded in 24bits and 44.1KHz and of course it will be in wav what i will send to be mixed. I though It was decent but after listening to it i made some mistakes and the sound is not proper yet from what you're telling me... I'll try to do a better take next week-end. volume.png

Since you want a wav here is the link with the metronome : Dropbox - verglas sanglant avec tempo.wav

And without metronome : Dropbox - verglas sanglant tempo mute.wav

Thank you again for all your tips. So far I never sounded that good so I'm happy but clearly I see have to learn a few other tricks :)

Yes, better (to me!) the fizz has subsided a bit and the level, in the second .wav down to neg 10. I have to repeat, not my genre! (but although I am a JSBach man I have spent many happy evenings jamming with son, he on guitar, me on bass and TRYING to sing! Mostly old Quo stuff and Beatles but I do like SOME HM, Paranoid e.g.) I really do have to compliment you on your dedication!

But, AGAIN I have to make it plain that I DO NOT RECORD guitars! (did a bit for son a couple of years ago but not HM) I really have NO IDEA if you are getting the sound you should.

What I do know about however is sound and guitar amps. Used to fix them just a few years ago and as a lowly labrat, tested them to close to destruction! You can ONLY know and communicate how loud that amp is by giving us a SPL meter reading. You can pick up a perfectly decent one for around £15/E20 and if you can get one with a "C" weighting. Pictures on DAWs or " I have is set at 5 (or 11!)" mean buggerall.

Come on stooodio people! Help us out here? Tell the guy what I cannot.
BTW the point about .wav not MP3 is that we cannot tell how much the MP3 encoder has mangled your magnificent creation!

Dave

Sounds perfectly acceptable. The most important thing at this point is to know what sound you are trying for. Which means in order to fit in the mix of the other instruments(arrangement) you will have to make adjustments to the tone of the amp, probably back down the gain and treble a bit and bring up the mids , though it wont sound as good coming out of the amp it will record more "tone" which will make it easier to use in the mix. Don't be too discouraged by the fact that it doesn't sound the way you want yet. Guitar parts almost always need eq to sit in a track without taking it over so listening to it out of context as it were makes it harder to get it to sound "right". Add some reverb and delay to hear what a massive difference just that can make without even putting the rest of the parts together. Try double tracking and doing the one side delayed just to hear that sound too.

Sounds perfectly acceptable. The most important thing at this point is to know what sound you are trying for. Which means in order to fit in the mix of the other instruments(arrangement) you will have to make adjustments to the tone of the amp, probably back down the gain and treble a bit and bring up the mids , though it wont sound as good coming out of the amp it will record more "tone" which will make it easier to use in the mix. Don't be too discouraged by the fact that it doesn't sound the way you want yet. Guitar parts almost always need eq to sit in a track without taking it over so listening to it out of context as it were makes it harder to get it to sound "right". Add some reverb and delay to hear what a massive difference just that can make without even putting the rest of the parts together. Try double tracking and doing the one side delayed just to hear that sound too.

Thank you Gtoboy,
I willl follow your advice for the treble, gain and mids.

Back