I have been trying to record for ages and I cant!!

Nobody ever fixes recording problems with the changing of equipment alone. Your recording has the drums too far away (too much room sound). The kick drum is not "on point" and forces you to boost the low end so you can hear it. A good kick drum should have 2 components. 1) It should have the "click" sound. This allows the drum timing to be clearly heard through the mix. 2) Low end should be more "felt" than heard. This will get the bass drum out of the way of the bass guitar. The rest of the kit has too much room sound giving it a distant sound forcing you to artificially boost EQ. Bring the drums up front and tight. When the mix is finished, you can add whatever effects you want knowing full well how they will sound in the mix.

Mics hear totally different from your ears. Put the amp up on a stool off the ground. Set up the guitar sound and have someone else play. Put a finger in your ear and use the other ear just like a mic. Point that ear around the speaker and find the best sound you can. Put the mic there. Moving the mic very little wil change the sound. Try to keep the mic close to the cone to remove the room sound (if your room is not treated.) Alot of the heavy guitar sound you hear on records is more the room sound than the close speaker sound. That is why there is no substitute for a big treated room for guitars and drums.

In a mix, all instruments cannot be "big" The main problem with home recordists is the propensity to record each track as full and big as they can. It takes years of practice to know how a track will sound in a mix. If you record all tracks big, you will need EQ to mix them right. This is one place that a decent EQ or plug-in is necessary.

Bottom line, If I were you I would not spend one penney until I could get a decent balance in a full mix. I don't mean great sound, I mean great balance where all instruments can be heard and gel together. Better equipment is needed when you can't get around the limit in sound quality.

Open the EZ drummer plugin, click Mixer and lower the "Room" fader to get rid of some of the reverb. Then adjust the individual drum mics until it sounds balanced (listening to a record that you want to "compare" yourself to could help).

I think it's probably easier to learn mixing if you are using less effects on the guitars as well. It sounds a bit "much" at the moment.

I think your guitar is slightly out of tune as well.

Feel free to re-post after some experimentation! Mix on :)

thanks guys...keep them coming....

any articles etc would be great....

i will try it with the new drum sound....

i tuned the guitar with a strobe tuner before recording so it should be in tune?

the effects right now are only vibe and delay....

To talk more about any new equipment or what i can do to improve my sound I have created a new thread

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=272506

Maybe I can continue to ask for some suggestions to improve my mixing, recording and mastering skills.

So far:
(1) too much reverb on drums
(2) too many effects on guitar

How can I learn more about what mic position etc to choose in EZDrummer to fit the song?any links?

When recording the guitar...right now there is delay on almost all guitars(slight delay). There is one guitar playing a delay oriented riff, maybe i should keep delay only on that? the other guitar has a univibe on, do i need to remove that? i can remove the rest of the effects.

There is a delay riff(muted notes with delay)
There are open chords
There is a melody(with delay and univibe)

after thsi is just 2 rhythm guitars

how can i give each guitar its own space?

cheers
Sid

Back