i guess i'm still considered a newbie, so here goes!

getfiddle

Hey all, my name is Chuck and I've been a member for awhile but forgot I was so had to set everything up again. I know very little about recording but am looking to start since I've written a few songs and this looks like the right forum to learn in! Anyways, I can't wait to start learning (and helping others) as I learn from you all! I will drive you nuts with questions so be prepared!! Thanks for having me. Chuck

Hi Chuck and welcome.
To speed up your questioning process can I offer some advice as to the information you should post upfront?
1)Computer: Make, model, OS, CPU specc', ram fitted.
2)Recording software if any (called a DAW)
3)Do you have an Audio Interface? If not you need one and give us some idea of number of mic inputs required. Most "One Man Band" singer/players find two inputs enough but DO NOT go fewer than two!
4)Have a mic? If not, whole other discussion on its own but almost anything will serve to start with.
5)Monitoring: Best done with active speakers (again, another sub'chat!) but you can start with modest headphones. Need to be of the closed back design if you want to sing to backing tracks.

6, left a deliberate space! ROOM TREATMENT! Domestic sized room all sound horrible if you record a voice in them. At the very least you will need some absorbent material front, and just as important, BACK of you but this can be as simple as a couple of duvet/heavy blankets on a plastic wastepipe frame.

Don't forget ancillaries, leads, mic stands etc. All up, ex PC you can have a very good quality system for well under $500. And that last is the most important thing to tell us. Budget!

Dave.

Hi, and thanks ecc83 for the welcome and the advise! I have several different recording options but i'm just getting into recording. figured if I was gonna write songs then I should at least record them! I'll have to get back to you on specs and such.

Back