Huge Problem I Have With Microphone - If You Solve I Would do Anything!

The Editor

Ok so let me lay down all the facts first.

1. I have an Audio Technica ATR microphone

2. I use Audacity to record

3. I use a Mac (2010)

Now here is my problem. When I record, whenever I talk there is an overlaying humming sound. Sometimes the humming sound plays while I am not talking, but it always plays while I am. The microphone isn't defective because I got two different Blue Yeti's with the same exact problem. With the Blue Yeti's I have tried using a powered and unpowered usb hub, but it didn't work. I just got the Audio Technica, and same problem. Here are some stuff I know.

1. When I did a lowpass, the humming noise was removed between around 300 and 800. Obviously the actual sound was too distorted to be used.

2. Noise removal works, but I have to nuke the sound so much it is useless.

3. Other programs don't work. Tried everything.

4. The Blue Yeti's had the same humming noise on other computers, an old Windows computer, and a MacBook Pro. Haven't tested the Audio Techinca yet.

5. All three microphones made same noise, and all did it while I talked, and sometimes while I wasn't.

Some more information, sometimes when I record, it would just be short and sharp pops. But when I record again they would stop happening, and just have buzzing. I have tried using other USB ports, and everything. Again, I have tried an unpowered USB hub (Belkin) and a powered USB hub (Belkin).

Please help me! I have spent 100 bucks on this for my Youtube channel, and I am so depressed because it doesn't work. If someone fixes this problem I would do ANYTHING for them. Thank you.

Mac's are desktops. They always have to be powered. But when I did test on laptops, they didn't work even on battery.

Yes there was buzzing sound even on laptops on batteries. And I don't mean to be rude, sorry. I thank you so much for taking your time to help me.

Yes there was buzzing sound even on laptops on batteries. And I don't mean to be rude, sorry. I thank you so much for taking your time to help me.

No worries. :)

Hmmm. Sounds strange. Can you try one of the mics in a different house or, at least, room?
Is there any change the buzz is actually in the playback chain rather than coming from the mic?

Basically, change everything about the setup bit by bit to rule things out. All cables, headphones, speakers, computer, environment...
Not really sure what else to suggest.

Could you share an mp3 file exemplifying the problem?

I have tried different rooms, wires, computers, programs, microphones. Everything. I still get the annoying buzz wherever I go in the house. Now here is the wierd thing. My Rosseta Stone headset comes with a microphone, and sometime it gets some buzz, but if I just put it into a new USB port, works fine. It is so wierd. About the mp3 file file, that would have to wait until probably tomorrow. Just imagine an electrical pop/buzz sound playing whenever I speak. I am thinking is anything interfering with the microphone?

Sounds like you've done all the right things.
If something was interfering you'd like to think the sound would change as you moved around.

Post a clip tomorrow, if you can.
Having inadequate system resources or buffer size set too low can cause clicks/pops etc, whereas a transformer in close proximity to the mic could cause a constant hum/buzz.

There's a load of possibilities which all sound different though, so it'd be good to hear.

Ok, thank you so much man. Expect the recording tomorrow, and if anyone else wants to pitch ideas, feel free to do so.

"Anything" you say?;)

Are you saying that no matter where you are, no matter what PC you use, what microphone you use, what cable you plug in, what program you record to, you always get a buzzing sound when you record yourself? On this theory, if you came to my house and used my studio, I would get buzzing if I recorded you... interesting concept... *strokes chin*

Consider:
(a) There is, just over your left shoulder, a cloud of bees following you everywhere - although I expect you may have noticed by now... try pest control for this problem
(b) You have tinnitus, and there is no actual buzz, you just hear one - for this problem, you get sympathy, but not much we can do, alas
(c) You are an alien from the planet Magnetor and it's just always going to be that way, sorry... (ps... we have no leaders worth taking you to, skip to the next planet is my advice...)
(d) If not bees, then perhaps there's a fridge following you around everywhere... or an airconditioner... or a fluorescent light - this is a tough one... being stalked by an appliance is a fairly heavy thing to have happen to you. Probably you shouldn't be too worried about recording at the moment and should deal with aforementioned appliance.

But seriously, let's have a listen and see if we can recognise it... sounds more like an interference thingy of some sort.

But here's how to definitively solve the problem: Throw the USB microphone away (I'm assuming it's a USB microphone at this point) and buy a real microphone and an audio interface and DON'T RECORD TO AUDACITY (not that it's not a fine program...).

When, eventually, you get to this point in your life/recording journey, don't forget to come back and offer yourself to me... I've always wanted a serf.:D

Good luck.

Your multiple theories all seem possible. 1. I had my parents check for bees. None found?
2. Other people also here the buzz.
3. If I were an alien, I'd leave Earth right now.
4. It could be a stalking fridge, but I set up traps.

You are right it is most like let some interference. My headset mike must work since it is less sensitive. I will put up recording after school.

Btw, I would be perfectly happy to be your serf :)

You have a good sense of humour! That's important here. ;)

Well, it definitely doesn't sound like interference from nearby transformers or electrical devices.
It doesn't really sound like the sort of artefacts you'd get from having buffer settings too low either....

There's a bit of distortion as if your gain is too high or your too close to the mic, but I'm not convinced that's related.
Turn down your input level, just incase.

Not sure what else to tell you. :eek:
If it's worth anything at all I'd call that a crackle rather than a buzz. :p

Well I have tried gain settings from 1 to 100, and I have tried different distances. I mean if the guy called Honorary Old Fart can't tell what is wrong, am I screwed to a life with using my crappy headset mike D:

It's a super long shot but go into utilities->audio/midi setup.

Look for your USB mic and make sure it's selected as your input device.
Glance over the bitrate, sample rate, and clock source options. Toggle them one by one and see if there's any difference.
Also, adjust the input level there. Bring it down to half way, if it will let you, then resume testing to see what happens.
This is different from any gain/input controls on the mic.

Maybe this information will help.

When I use my headset mike, at first when I record there are huge crackles that spike up and down. Then I just stop recording, then rerecord again and again. Eventually it sounds normal. Although when I use Skype people can hear the crackle.

When I use the fancy USB mikes, same thing happens, until eventually the audio looks flat when I don't talk. Only when I do talk does it make that crackle.

So in short, at first both microphones crackle, but eventually the headset almost corrects itself. The USB mike corrects itself a little, but not enough to be good. If this might seem like the most confusing thing you have ever seen, then I am screwed aren't I. If you want me to post a video or something to help let me know. But please help me before I jump off a bridge due to frustration. Thanks.

OMG! Okay I changed the Format from 44100 to 48000 and the buzzing stopped!!!!! OMG THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I mean what do you need! I can do GFX a bit if you want something. Really man you own me :D. OH my god you are the Chosen One! I will never forget you man! Thank you!

OMG! Okay I changed the Format from 44100 to 48000 and the buzzing stopped!!!!! OMG THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I mean what do you need! I can do GFX a bit if you want something. Really man you own me :D. OH my god you are the Chosen One! I will never forget you man! Thank you!

Sweeeeeet.

Someday, and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a service for me.......:p

View attachment My Song.mp3

Don't worry microphones is working great. It seems there were two problems. One was the crackle which is completely gone. This problem isn't really anything to worry about, and I can get around it. There are just sharp clicks every now and then. They are pretty random. Just wondering if there was some solution. Here is a recording of it. Notice how there is sharp clicks once in a while.

Back