hr and noobs

pipelineaudio

I have to tell you guys, for how many massive dramas we've had on this board, it matters not.

I recently had to join a community where * I* am the noob

I wish so much that I was treated there, the way noobs are treated here....gawdawlmighty

I think people here are more excited about keeping the art of recording alive than just being king of the board. At least the majority of the board members.

Every time I see someone jumping into this mess called home recording, I want to help them over come the learning curve so they won't get discouraged. This recording stuff is pretty damn hard and give noobs crap won't help them overcome that frustration. I really think most of us think that way. Hence why there were issues with some members.

It just feels weird to me, after how much time I spent helping people in this industry, certainyl not just noobs, to know that really, out there are a bunch of peckerheads that really just want to show how petty they are by whacking noobs....and the funny thing is, in any field, its always the kind of crappy people, the best of the best on any given subject are usually pretty cool and like to help, but below there, ouch!

I think people here are more excited about keeping the art of recording alive than just being king of the board. At least the majority of the board members.

Every time I see someone jumping into this mess called home recording, I want to help them over come the learning curve so they won't get discouraged. This recording stuff is pretty damn hard and give noobs crap won't help them overcome that frustration. I really think most of us think that way. Hence why there were issues with some members.

That always seemed to be the theme around here, to me.
Most of the regulars are pretty quick to jump in and help a noob out with some friendly words.
The theme tried to change for a while but...we pulled it back. ;)

Where/what that might be...?...I wouldn't think it's some audio community?
(Of course, if it's something private, please ignore me asking.)

Im trying to learn c++ for the four billionth time....and this time, its actually sort of taking!

Lots of listening to video tutorials while I'm driving or at the skatepark is really helping it stick this time

Im trying to learn c++ for the four billionth time....and this time, its actually sort of taking!

Lots of listening to video tutorials while I'm driving or at the skatepark is really helping it stick this time

:eek:

Oh man...I hated that class back in college.
I took it during the summer semester, trying to cut one semester off the regular school year. It was a required class for all of us in the Electronics/Computer programs.
The class was packed...more than half the class failed. I managed to squeeze through with C grade, along with maybe 5-6 others...and there were only 2-3 people who really knew their shit and scored A and B grades. That was my only C grade...the rest I aced.

The only reason I got the C was because I was good at doing the lab exercises...and that was only thanks to many hours of simply hacking away at them. :D

Good luck. I really hated that class.

Ahh same here, it was a requirement for my electronics classes, but we did NOTHING with it. I got straight A's...On paper I'm allegedly a mini justin frankel, but last year it took me quite a bit to get hello world in visual studio...

I even aced another 2 year C++ course a few years after the first one, but seriously if you dont use it, you don't know it, and I was desparate to use it but didnt know a way to actually use it, so i didn't actually learn, regardless what some piece of paper says.

Over the decades i have read and reread Primer and the Stroustrop book, and no matter how much the "experts" protest, for me it doesnt take, unless I use it, I learn by doing.

As insulting as people want to be I DO know a lot of stuff, and I know it because I had to do it, not everyone learns the same way....just frustrated really

Its extra humiliating that over the years Justin has really tried to help me and it still didn't take.

I did almost nothing but C++ for around 20 years. It was burdened with a lot of C-isms, but was turning into a pretty modern language when I jumped into Ruby and more modern stuff. Never wanted to use it again, and when I took a stab at teaching after retiring from slinging code, I picked Java for the 3 semesters I taught. When I closed that door, I never looked back. I was really good at what I did because my brain seems to work like a computer's - at least I thought it did, but I cut my teeth on operating systems (all assembly language), so it probably warped me that way early on. I liked the puzzle solving aspect of it but I like playing my guitar now and recording folks here and there a lot more :).

I think you have to be passionate about programming...same as with music....before you "get it" and appreciate it.
Just being able to do it, doesn't get you there.

Same with mathematics....I scored at the top of my college trig/calc classes, simply because I could work my way through the problems...but I have no real passion for math. I don't "see" anything in all those numbers...and I'm still waiting for the day when algebra saves my life. :p ;)

As insulting as people want to be I DO know a lot of stuff, and I know it because I had to do it, not everyone learns the same way....just frustrated really

I'm the same way. I can read all the books I want but it's not going to stick until I've done it for myself.
I learned a fair bit of c# mostly because I helped run a modded game server and, quite often, the guys who wrote the mods were pretty slow to push fixes on update day.
Now I'm one of the guys who writes the mods. :facepalm:

This year, on my birthday, I finally learned how to pull a whiplash, after trying since the very first day that trick was put on video, probably around 1994 or so. It didn't dawn on me until a few years ago, when I started my goal of dropping 100 pounds (which I did, thankfully), that you could learn flatland in the same way you learned guitar, in little steps, and instead of the metronome, just walking thru the bits. I was always a ramprider and street rider, but I LOVED flatland and would always attempt it but never get it.

I know some of you watched the tenacity of what ended up being the development of reaper, I just DONT quit, so its not like I'm not tenacious enough, its often that I don't know the right way to learn. How many developers did I run around beating over the head with hundreds of hand drawn pages before I met Justin, and I learned most of recording the same way, always trying to be the dumbest person in the room or find a new room

But DAMN this coding just does NOT take for me

But you know I won't give up

Reactions: TAE
Back