how to record a guitar whitout monitor

joey rangsi

i have a eurorack mx602a
v-amp2
audigy platinum
i use primary cuebase sx
i want to record my guitarr and hear the other tracks like bass
drums etc,but not the guitar,at my monitors(cause im blowing them and some times it gets imposible to hear clear.
i just want to lisent my guitar at my marshall and the other stuff at my monitors,but be able get the signal to my pc.
how is this proces called and how or what do i need to make it possible,
thanx for ur support good luck

Quick & dirty method:

Monitor your existing tracks with headphones, and leave 'em partway off your ears so you can hear your amp.

That's how I do it when I'm tracking. Maybe there's something I'm missing here due to your english? :)

Joey, have you tried setting the "output" source for the track you're recording the guitars to- to none?

I don't use Cubase, so not sure if you can do that. But in Cakewalk 9/sonar (and probably their other programs) you can choose an output source for each track.

I'm guessing that might work.

:edit:
wait, I don't think it will. Scratch that.

Are you recording into the audigy's line in or what?

Maybe just mute the playback of the "line-in" source, but have it checked for recording.

Since the playback of the monitors will be the "wav" source. So, you'll hear the existing tracks being played back via the "wav" source, but you won't hear the "line-in" 'cause you'll have the playback muted for "line-in" but the recording for "line-in" enabled.

Hope that didn't confuse you, but that should work.

Re: Quick & dirty method:

M.Brane said:
Monitor your existing tracks with headphones, and leave 'em partway off your ears so you can hear your amp.

That's how I do it when I'm tracking. Maybe there's something I'm missing here due to your english? :)
you're almost there.
The thing is (from my reading) is the headphones/or/monitors the existing tracks are coming out of, so is the guitar he is trying to lay down, but he doesn't want that.

He wants to hear the exisiting tracks coming from his monitors on his computer, and only hear the guitar from his amp.

maybe I'm wrong, this is what I'm gathering from it.

Then mute the track that you're recording to (don't know if that's an option), bring the volume of the track all the way down, or remove any outputs from the track.

This is a common sequence for MBox and Digi-002 users in Pro Tools; there is noticeable (slight, but noticeable) latency during monitoring...so the solution is to listen ONLY to the live instrument while playing.

This really shouldn't be THAT big of a deal, right?

But he's not going through pro-tools.

He's going into his PC, where if he's going line-in, he's gonna hear the guitar playing wheather he's in his recording program or not, and even if he is in his recording program and he mutes the track, or makes the output none. That's only going to affect the what's being played back, not what's going into the audio card at the moment.

That's why I suggested he tries going into his PC's audio mixer.
In the audio playback options- mute line-in
But in recording still having line-in enabled as the recording source.

It may not work, but it's all I can think of at the moment to do what he wants to do.

I guess that would work, if the software that he's using doesn't allow him to control the output of his tracks.

But unless he's recording this into Sound Recorder, I can't imagine that that's the best solution. Sure, it'll work..

"I guess that would work, if the software that he's using doesn't allow him to control the output of his tracks."

The software he's using lets him control the playback output, but not the current input's- output.

His sound card is controlled by the sound mixer in windows, that's his master controls of his playback and what source is being used to record. Has nothing to do with Sound Recorder.

I haven't used the little face plate features on an audigy (platinum) so don't know if there's another alternate way, Besides rigging up a more complex chain of gear and cables outside of your pc.

But I do have an audigy (non-platinum), and at one point had to use that to record, and that's the only software way I can think of making it work.

...and I just took a sip of dr. pepper that's been sitting in it's can for about 8 days

He should be able to listen to only the output of his pre-recorded tracks thru the soundcards output right? Or are you saying that's not possible because of the windows mixer?

At any rate he could mic the amp and send that out the mixers aux send(assuming it's pre, not post fader!)into the sound card, and leave the fader down for the guitar so he doesn't hear it in the monitors, right?

Then he could just play back his pre-rec tracks, and jam along while recording the guitar.:cool:

Or am I missing something?:confused:

mmm many choices

i have tryed almost all the help u posted,i hope to have some time to test,(too much work).
a friend told me i need a pro console or mixer,mmmm?(dont like that choice).
thera have being many changes depnding on many wire routes
too much to say,some examples:wire#1=records the click from the prog.
wire#2 the signal (dont know why)gets dirty just a little but u guys know what it means at studio record.
wire#3 the balance of audio gets realy imposible to adjust.
or the guitarr is too low or too loud or gets too shine and etc.
and there is like 12 more examples.
i have also tryed the 2 small bottoms that reads,TO CTRL ROOM
and TO MIX.
i wonder why no 1 knows how to make it.i thoug it was a normal procces an every day deal.
maybe its not realy usefull or the way it haves to work.
can u tell me??? pls.
any way i like to have control of everything on the studio so it has to be a way.je je.
and at the same time whit some clients(amateurs).
i have to record them at the same time( they ask me to)
cause they simply dont get the click or metronome so to dont spend my time and that means money,i record them together.
and to have all that instruments at my monitros is a mess and allready 2 of them are broken.
so thanks thanks thank 4 ur help guys we keep working on it.
the 1 who gets the way to doit pls post it.many people will apreciate it.

I run the output of my sound card to a couple of channels on my mixer (I set the volume to the desired setting.) then I my board for the pre-amp so I use the insert to get signal into my computer and use the slider and mute control on that channel to adjust the mix in my phones of the track I am recording. You may have to mute the track you are recording in your software if it is set up to monitor.

I never have monitored the input on the software. I always use the board.

F.S.

PS when I am useing the board like this I assign the channels to L/R.

i found some ways

hi :thanks to all of u for helping.
the last post seems to work i have a little problems,whit that
but i wil try to fix them.
well for cubase i found i ahves the option to monitro via cubase
or via the harware mixer at 100% if my audio card supports
ASIO 2.0.
the other way ( only a guess) is to get a digital mixer.
and there is a deal i have to check, its about the the jumpers in my
audio card, that jumper is for bypass the micro signals.
maybe that fix the problem about geting the cubase click recorded
also. but i now i think maybe not.
cause in fact all audio signals tha are going trough the mixer
INS and OUTS.gets recorded,
well thanks. about the last post o will try again today.
1 more cuestion.what are for the AUX SEND and STEREO AUX RETURN inputs.

good luck guys

Re: i found some ways

joey rangsi said:
hi :thanks to all of u for helping.
the last post seems to work i have a little problems,whit that
but i wil try to fix them.
well for cubase i found i ahves the option to monitro via cubase
or via the harware mixer at 100% if my audio card supports
ASIO 2.0.
the other way ( only a guess) is to get a digital mixer.
and there is a deal i have to check, its about the the jumpers in my
audio card, that jumper is for bypass the micro signals.
maybe that fix the problem about geting the cubase click recorded
also. but i now i think maybe not.
cause in fact all audio signals tha are going trough the mixer
INS and OUTS.gets recorded,
well thanks. about the last post o will try again today.
1 more cuestion.what are for the AUX SEND and STEREO AUX RETURN inputs.

good luck guys

I'm not sure what you mean by all the ins and outs get recorded. The method I use only what you run from and insert to the card gets recorded (do not record off the main outs on the board). The out put of your card is run to the board for monitoring only. This (depending on your card) could provide you with the click.

On the aux's you should locate a manual for your board and read it.
Try online at the company's web sight if you don't have one.

F.S.

Back