How to record audio with video?

athrun200

I want to record some music through my SM58 but at the same time I also want to record a video of my playing.

What I am doing now is to setup both the camera and mic, and record them at the same time.
After that, I use video editing softwares like Camtasia studio to put the video and audio together, shifting each other to get a perfect match.

I am wondering are there any better ways to do it?

Thats the way it's been done for a century (with film before video obviously...)

Get yourself one of these for $10:
yckMLGXcE.jpeg
or clap your hands together to give yourself an audio and visual 'marker' to line up on.

If you have a stand alone hard drive/dvd recorder (I have two Freeview jobbies) you can do what I did for my son a couple of years ago when he needed to submit some "live" auditions by post.

Mics went through an AI, actually a Behringer BCA2000 when it was working well. Line out from that to next room to DVD recorder. Video from a Cannon camcorder on TV coax to DVD recorder.

I am not sure if they would have accepted something "constructed"?

No, he didn't get the job!

Dave.

Mics went through an AI, actually a Behringer BCA2000 when it was working well. Line out from that to next room to DVD recorder. Video from a Cannon camcorder on TV coax to DVD recorder.

No, he didn't get the job!
Dave.

Sorry to hear about that.
But can we connect AI to a camera? Or just me misunderstanding something?
Because my AI (scarlett 2i2) doesn't seems to be able to be connected to a camera.

Sorry to hear about that.
But can we connect AI to a camera? Or just me misunderstanding something?
Because my AI (scarlett 2i2) doesn't seems to be able to be connected to a camera.

Noo! The video AND audio recorder was the DVD machine (a Sony) line vid in from camcorder, L&R in from Berry AI. They needed a contemporaneous recording of my son to prove he was playing the parts.

Err? If you are UK I can lend you a Dazzle box? (have a Googe) .
Dave.

I am not sure if they would have accepted something "constructed"?

I'm not talking about something constructed in the sense that the audio and video were performed separately, only that they were recorded on separate devices at the same time and then synced up after the fact. I don't think that would have violated the "live" requirement.

We have a few gizmos that can help sync up multiple video tracks and the master audio - Google Plural Eyes, but I do quite a few music projects and a drummer's downbeat is a great sync point, as in a guitarists first strum, or anything really that has a definite sound you can hear. If your editing software gives you a visual waveform representation, then even though the camera audio and the separate audio recording are done on different machines, they usually are very similar to look at, so that usually speeds up the 'fit'.

Back