How much computer do I need to use it as a home studio recording, editing system?

mcduke

Hi all,
I presently have a venerable computer running Windows 10 with 8gb ram, and the i5 760 2.8GHz Quad core cpu - Turbo 3.467GHz 1 core, or 3.33 with 2 cores, and 2.93GHz 3 or 4 core.
I have a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi SB0460 7.1-Channel PCI Sound Card.
I also have a Tascam US800 audio interface.
I hope to use Repear and Ableton Live 9 Lite.
Is this system capable of being used for home studio recording or do I need to do some updating? And how about the sound card? Thanks for your input.

Hi there,
That spec of computer is good enough.
The us800 should be your input and output device so I'd remove or disable the SoundBlaster.
There's no advantage to having it and potential for it to cause issues.

If you have any specific questions or issues give us a shout but, for now...the answer is a simple yes; Your computer should be fine. :)

You say you HAVE a US800, have you tried it on Win 10? There are no official 10 drivers however,..

US-800 and Windows 10 | TASCAM Forums So you could be lucky.

Yes, as Mr S says, remove the S(of a)B card. I had one years ago and then I found Ccleaner and the amount of crap it had left behind in my then XP machine.
I suggest you set a Restore point for the PC as is (not THAT easy on W10 iirc but can be done) Then pull the card and then remove all traces of SB software you can find. Then install Cc and run the Registry cleaner several times if needs be to remove even more SB junk. BTW, is W10 bang up to date for updates? If not I suggest you install those first as I have read tales of Ten resetting things or even deleting drivers when updated. You could otherwise go round the Mulbury bush many times!

If the Tascam does give you problems I would not waste too much time trying to fix it. It IS officially disconned and no more support is likely. There are plenty of people about with W7 (even XP!) who would take it off your hands. The next conundrum is of course, what to replace it with? Cross bridge as and when! How much I/O do you need?

(get a safe dld of Ccleaner from <ninite.com)
Dave.

Back