Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how many hours does it take to record?!?!

keylolo is offline Newbie

Question

Sign in to disable this ad
    how long does it take to record a song. ex:how many hours on vocals,background vocals,mixing and mastering. and what is a headphone mix mean?
    Lorrie Odom

bvaleria is offline Recording Genius

Talking

Anywhere from 1 to 100,000 hours....

It depends totally on the talent, how well-rehearsed they are... mixing for me is at least 5-6 hours by the time I'm happy with it, usually a bit more...

The headphone mix is the mix your provide your talent with via headphones during overdubs.

Bruce Valeriani
    Blue Bear Sound

Shana is offline Senior Member
    Hey there,
    I'd say it depends on the kinda song youre working on and how well you're prepared before you start. If you pretty much have a clear picture of your song and you play neatly and well , you can finish a song in a couple of hours. It generally takes me about 2 weeks to wrap up a song and even when im done i go back sometimes for little changes. I'm using a pretty simple equipment so i guess it depends on the nature of your studio. If i had more tracks I'd be busy with my songs 24/7. Maybe it's a good thing i dont. Whatever the case is, I'd say aim for a good mix and dont worry about how long it takes. It varys by everyone I;m sure.
    G'luck
    Shana

gidman is offline Senior Member

Cool Recording Time

Yeah......what they said....

Varies,average time on a song 5-10+ hrs... depending on the talent and preparedness.Overdubbing,retakes,lead vocals, back up vocals,racks up time.No one is perfect.Overdub your mistakes,tick tick tick.
    Perfection takes time. Take your time... no matter how long it takes to get it right. Don't get frustrated,or in a hurry, there is always tomorrow.Above all have fun doing it!

Gidman
    [url="http://www.bmgsound.com"]www.bmgsound.com[/url]

lazyboy is offline Dedicated Member
    Reading into your question, I'm guessing you're asking because you are thinking of booking some studio time, yes? No?

Like everybody else says, it depends. I think it goes without saying that you don't want to be rehearsing while you're on the clock. This advice helps to tighten up any recording session by keeping you on task even when time is not directly related to money. My old band tracked and mixed 5 songs in 20 hours. We let a lot of little things go which proved to be a mistake. Just a few weeks later, I found myself very much dissatisfied with the end product.

These days I don't like to try to start anything with less than a 4-hour window to get some mics placed nicely and a few tracks down, unless I'm just doing some sketchbook recording. When I get really involved with mic placement and tone and all that shit, I can take 4-5 hours to get drums alone, double that if I'm doing it alone. Haven't spent much time mixing things lately, but I'd estimate that I spend about 25 hours tracking a song if I want it to sound good. With this in mind, is it any wonder that so many of us have gotten into DIY? Of course then all the equipment concerns take up your time too. But what else were you gonna do with your weekends?

pglewis is offline 1K Silver Member
    heh heh, 140,160 and counting .

Pirateking is offline Senior Member
    IT also depends on whether you're recording everything by yourself, or if you're in a band. In my experience, it takes about 400 times longer to record something with a band, because everyone has to be happy with it, not just you. If you're planning studio time for a band, add a couple of hours to any estimate that you get, because an argument will, undoubtably, start sometime during the recording process.

kristian is offline 1K Silver Member
    The best studio ive been to was very proffesional to me. i know that is a strange thing to say. we had a choice of engineer and we picked based on price and what he has done that we heard. we went in with our own ideas but to a certain extent he was there for a reason. while tracking he made some decisions. he changed a couple parts, and during mixdown he added some effects and stuff. In the end it was much better then we though we could have for a demo. In truth, i believe that having someone else record for you is the in the end the best idea especially if he isnt stuck into one music type, especially yours. I know i like to record at home now. but if i had a contract i would go back to this studio probably. http://www.sugarhillstudios.com/ if you are in texas and are going to somewhere to record... gahhhhh. they are good, especially Dan Workman.

The Green Hornet is offline Been Here, Posted That

Talking

Yo and Ho:

I think what the sagacious Sonusman has stated is ironcally true. As one of my bosses said about his tax advisor, "when the dude comes into my shop, his meter is running." That's why most good studios only let the tape go forward; use more tape, pay more money. It's life.
    When was the last time you called a plumber? Or had some medical tests run? Big bucks.

I think most of the people here spend lots of time on mixing; I know I do. I've got this one vocal by a good female friend and I've remixed that tune maybe 23 times; keep putzing with the reverb/EQ etc. And, since I just plugged in a new Lexicon Reverb, well, I'll be spending more time mixing and experimenting.

But, I like the logic and sagacity of Sonusman.

Green Hornet

Rassizzm is offline Senior Member
    I do rap and hip hop it takes me about 4 hours to creat the music after I'm done with that I apply effects to the music then I call in the artist doing the vocals takes about 4-5 hours depending on how deep I want the song to go.3 or 4 days later I come back and do the mixing and finnish off the song...so in total about 12-15 hours
    "If I can't be part of the greatest, I have to be the greatest myself."
    :mad:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information