How loud should music be?

Stu_Hig

What level is db should most rock music be at? Is there a set value that most is mastered at?

Thanks in advance

Critical listening demands volumes that do not tire the ears, thus temporarily (potentially permanently, as well BTW) damaging your most important tool.

Keep it under 90 dB max with your target average being 80 dB - 85 dB and you should be OK.

Of course if you are already deaf from not using this information to guide your past listening habits you may need 130 dB to even get an idea that there is some recorded material being played back on your monitors. :eek:

so I guess if you stand in front of the speaker, and your hair is blowing, it's too loud.

Is 0db pretty much true sound, and anything above it is being amplified and anything below being quietened?

What is the go with 0db?...I know there is something special about it.

I thought music should be around that 0db mark? 90db seems a hell of a lot over this. In my software, meter readings over the 0db mark start to clip

0 Db

Yeah on my hi-fi stereo the louder I turn up the volume the closer it gets to -0 Db ...

I often wondered why this happened ...

Also on Cakewalk Sonar - it clips if it goes above 0 Db ....

hmmmm can someone explain this phenomenon to me :confused:

you guys are talking about 2 different things, when recording find your highest peak, and set that just at or barely below 0dB.

during playback do not exceed 120 dB because that is when your ears start to feel pain, and get hurt.

FatesWebb

Back