How long before someone talks to you on this site?

GearShift

This has got to be the unfriendliest music site I've known. How long have you got to post yourself before anyone talks to you? I've seen long threads with answers that have nothing to do with the OP. How about the one that starts off telling us what compression does, but the answers go on about whether we should read books? Even the one saying 'back to the OP' has nothing about compression in it. I know musicians can be self-obsessed but WTF?

Last edited:
Well, just my impression, but this site seems to be more about folks asking questions and getting answers, or posting their work or reviews/insights/opinions about topics relevant to recording, or sometimes performance, and certainly all the equipment. I'd say that many of us are not the bubbly extroverted type to begin with anyway, and like our little worlds with DAWs and acoustic treatments, microphones, etc. (don't forget the analog lunatic fringe ;)); i.e., we have things that excite us and might lead to thread hijacking or wild tangents. Gee, that never happens anywhere else I visit...

Anyway, I never thought of it as a social club, and I didn't see your introductory post, so no f'n idea who you are, where you're based or what you're interested in, so I'm not going to try to start a random conversation. (I have to add, especially, now.)

How long before someone talks to you on this site?

:D

If you start an audio topic with some question(s) in it...you'll get some responses.
Otherwise, not sure what it is you wanted to talk about...that you feel no one wants to talk about with you...???

Besides...you just joined up...don't be so self-obsessed. ;)

See...you asked a question, and you already got two responses in less than an hour.

Alright then, someone I first met on another site posted a song for review. I'm the only one that's answered.

The MP3 Clinic is a collaborative site based on reciprocity. We do not "review" songs. We offer comments on the work others post provided that they reciprocate. If you are new on the site and post songs for comments, you will get one or at most two free passes from me. If you continue to post and do not offer comments on work others have posted, you get ignored.

Alright then, someone I first met on another site posted a song for review. I'm the only one that's answered.

If you're talking about the "Can I sing" thread to which you are the only one who responded...I think that's as good as it will get.
Not many people care too much about telling others if they can sing or not...because most people don't want to hear the truth about that.

I think anyone who is trying to sing...and can't tell if they're singing is good or bad...needs to keep trying until they can tell. They need to learn to listen better.
IOW, and IMHO...if you can hear a great singer and know that...or hear a lousy singer and know that...you should be able to tell which way your singing leans on your own, without asking "Can I sing?"

This is a community, not a service.
Welcome to the community. :)

Some questions get quick answers, some don't.. That's just how it is.
Take into a account that people are in a range of different time-zones and maybe not on every day.

If it is "can I sing" thread, mentioned before. I will not answer those at all. I will tell you why. There are some people who can definitely sing and they don't need to ask me. For those who aren't sure, well, there are lots of people who "can't sing" (IMO) and people really like to listen to them. My old standby is Bob Dylan. Don't tell his banker and the millions of fans he can't sing.

For me to say if someone can sing or not is silly, everyone can sing. The question is really, do you like my singing? That is a question I won't answer, cause I don't know what other people will like.

More talk for you :)

To add to that, people still don't talk to me on this site.

if it is "can i sing" thread, mentioned before. I will not answer those at all. I will tell you why. There are some people who can definitely sing and they don't need to ask me. For those who aren't sure, well, there are lots of people who "can't sing" (imo) and people really like to listen to them. My old standby is bob dylan. Don't tell his banker and the millions of fans he can't sing.

For me to say if someone can sing or not is silly, everyone can sing. The question is really, do you like my singing? That is a question i won't answer, cause i don't know what other people will like.

More talk for you :)

to add to that, people still don't talk to me on this site.

:)

If its the 'can I sing' thing, about a zilion people show up here annually with that same question. This is a site that is specifically about homerecording. Find another place!

Well I'm totally confused - I read the post on mixing your own singing, and thought it was just a comment. I agreed with the comments but as it didn't;t ask a question, I figured it for one of those statement posts where people have perhaps read other stuff, and then post a new topic stating a point of view.

I think I read it, but didn't feel I needed to respond?

On forums, it's the interaction that sets the style off a forum, and this one is much the same. I don't think we're unfriendly, but we seem to always look for questions. When people post their first posts with the title "hello" or something, I tend to not actually read them - sometimes, if it says hello from Norfolk, I'll probably read it to discover and smile that it's Norfolk USA, but it was the title that makes me read them - especially when there are so many posts each day. I never mean to dismiss people by not responding, but with the post about recording yourself, what could I have said? "Me too!" = that's a bit pointless. You seem knowledgeable, so why not jump in and help others - that's what most of us seem to do.

I know, right! They should be paying attention to ME!! I AM THE ONE THEY SHOULD BE OBSESSED WITH!

Ha! This is why my son will never be a rock star and keep his old dad in the manner to which he would like to become accustomed! He plays guitar superbly (had all the Quo, Beatles, AC/DC, Queen riffs and solos nailed by age 17. Reads very well, got all the theory and earns a bit teaching. Just does not have that ego!

Much rather have him the way he is though. (missed the Stones!)

Dave.

Back to the OP...

I think compression tools are overrated. If your mix sounds thin it's probably because the dick at the console is thin. And limp.

:p

Back