How long before someone talks to you on this site?

Anyone who can't tell on their own if their singing (or playing) is good or bad hasn't......
A) listened to any music
Or
B) is playing some kind of insincere "humble" game looking for validation
Or
C) is a total clueless moron
Or
D) is just looking for attention.

These are just however my opinions. :D

I believe most who are really some kind of musician, know how their offerings stack up to the pros.

Now someone who recognises 'what is', and that improvement is in order, is a completely different situation and deserves help.

It's like the old saying, "the wise man knows he doesn't know, whereas the fool knows everything"
:D

There is that. I have never asked anyone if I can sing. I know better.

I help others to sing that already know that they have the ability in studio. It is a far fetch on this forum for me to judge the abilities of others unless I have something to offer them.

I only joined this thread because it was a bit funny. Bad man I may be. lol

Man singing is putting it all out there as opposed to playing an instrument. Having been singing all my freekin life I know I can sing in tune for the most part and cringe when I or someone else goes off a point or two. That said some 40 years ago I played in a prog rock band that had a singer that could sing but had a voice that some people loved...some people hated and some tolerated. He was a baritone and had a va-voom set of tonsils...boy could project his voice... I liked that and he was an awesome tunesmith so it was all good.

I guess the point is rather than can I sing...a better question is do you like my voice...and then it is stupidly subjective.

American Idol, The Voice and now "the Four" sure do humble my ass as far as knowing about singing....Damn I hear these amazing singers and then the judges tear them apart and tell them minute nuances I would never even think of.

Again all subjective but there is a shit load to know about singing that I sure don't seem to know...then some 14 year old on one of these singing shows knows it all cause he / she is an old soul...dang! Hows that fair?

OH well just thought I'd chime in that the "can I sing" question is a damn dodgy subject and goes far beyond just a yes or no...least that's what I thinks..

Re singing? "Ah done know? Ah ony heard" but I understand that almost anyone that DOES sing could benefit from lessons?
Not only to improve the musicality/quality but also to protect the voice. (tho' people like Lulu seem to have asbestos tonsils..Where DOES that power come from!??)

Dave.

Greetings GearShift.

Since compression is probably amongst the most technically demanding processes (from my entry-level prospective), the several handfuls of those advanced enough to address your post, if that technical, may take time to find you.

Despite the size of archived posts, I surmise the number of advanced long-standing members is not as great as a Newbie's first glance might suggest.

This is not a knock on the forum but rather a comment on the craft's demand of technical knowledge base that is only acquired through experience and commitment to learn. Afterall, we are talking about a highly specialized craft, so to have a few dozen of those on a high level of skill in one common sharing platform is, indeed, a blessing. Many, many others contribute on varying levels, knowing more about some things than others, like myself.

If you stick around you will come to value the sincerity of those long-standing members or actually anyone who gives of themselves to further the craft through this forum--true craftship community.

We are each unique human beings, so I've found some coarse at times (but in my experience friendly meant to encourage me), at other times challenging me to support input (but I find this makes me stronger in my knowledge base if knowing I might be asked for my reasoning). Isn't this what one would want from a music recording/mixing community?

You'll find your only regret will be not to be able to give back as much as you will be given--it will make you strive to develop your craft on a level that you can share with others not merely through music but through sharing of skills. Look forward to carrying that mantle, your skills and personal development will be the better for it.

Best to you within this, your new community--JeffF.

Last edited:
I hope that this doesn't become one of those three-year-long threads whuch people just won't stop posting to.

:eatpopcorn:

Well it is kinda like watching a train wreck in slow motion so it's hard to turn away from ;) THis definitely could live 3 years

I'm all for it. This is one of those threads that you go to when the forum is slow.
Besides, no one talks to me either. And when someone does, it's in the form of a pm telling me to behave. :D

I'm all for it. This is one of those threads that you go to when the forum is slow.
Besides, no one talks to me either. And when someone does, it's in the form of a pm telling me to behave. :D

Hey! WHO said you could talk with us regular folk!!!!

Dave.

3 years, oy-vey... n'er tho't 'bout that!

regular?! what do you take to stay regular?
maybe it's jus' me but this post going anywhere?

maybe downhill like something rolls...
like "Black Eyed Peas Bad Lip Reading" youtube.

Watch out down there...

Greetings GearShift.

Since compression is probably amongst the most technically demanding processes (from my entry-level prospective), the several handfuls of those advanced enough to address your post, if that technical, may take time to find you.

Despite the size of archived posts, I surmise the number of advanced long-standing members is not as great as a Newbie's first glance might suggest.

This is not a knock on the forum but rather a comment on the craft's demand of technical knowledge base that is only acquired through experience and commitment to learn. Afterall, we are talking about a highly specialized craft, so to have a few dozen of those on a high level of skill in one common sharing platform is, indeed, a blessing. Many, many others contribute on varying levels, knowing more about some things than others, like myself.

If you stick around you will come to value the sincerity of those long-standing members or actually anyone who gives of themselves to further the craft through this forum--true craftship community.

We are each unique human beings, so I've found some coarse at times (but in my experience friendly meant to encourage me), at other times challenging me to support input (but I find this makes me stronger in my knowledge base if knowing I might be asked for my reasoning). Isn't this what one would want from a music recording/mixing community?

You'll find your only regret will be not to be able to give back as much as you will be given--it will make you strive to develop your craft on a level that you can share with others not merely through music but through sharing of skills. Look forward to carrying that mantle, your skills and personal development will be the better for it.

Best to you within this, your new community--JeffF.

Should acknowledge Jeff's well thought out post, otherwise they might think we're not talking to them. :D

Back