How long before someone talks to you on this site?

The question is really, do you like my singing?

No.

Oh wait...you weren't really asking. :D

Seriously though, I have to agree that's most people want to know...do you like their singing...but I still think people who sing, who are musicians, should know if their singing or playing is on more on the good or bad side of things.
I mean...it's like knowing when your guitar is out of tune...oh wait, I know a lot of players who can't seem to tell. :p

Not much different with song postings...many people are really looking for some kind of group approval...or they are simply looking for roundabout promotion of their music...only occasionally are they really asking for mixing advice, or willing to accept it.

Seeing how most singers are egosistical, threads like that are based on a look at me philosophy and should be ignored. :D

We used to call that LSS-Lead Singer Syndrome. I have to admit every lead singer I ever met had it. GUITARISTS however, are always kewl.:thumbs up: Oh wait we are supposed to paing attention to canm, sorry bout that:p

Although it jars with my basic ideology, the really crucial test of whether you can 'sing' (or play) is if people will pay you to do it.

I cannot see how some of the vast salaries people in say the BBC get can be justified but if you are a 'commodity' a feted performer, boxer, footballer, the Market will decide and I have no problem with that.

Dave.

I quote 'As a newbie ... , don 't expect a review of your " hot new track " ... your post will get little if any positive attention'.

Thank you to everyone that listened.

hmmm. kk, but if I didn't respond would you know I heard?

?¿kind-of-a tree fallin' in the woods kinda thing?¿

anyway to anwer the can I sing question -- maybe! How old are you?

if you could really sing, the whole world would have known by now!

you could always find out by running for America's/Britain's Got Talent and count the gongs.

edit: or is it buzzers... anyway watch out for those X's either way.

welcome to the site. i don't use the site as much I probably should, however i have found that's it's just like anything else in life: The more I posted and participate, the more comments I get on my own threads. You can comment, or perhaps add some experience if you have it. No, it's not the friendliest bunch of folk -- but we are musicians, what do you expect? lol.

How long have you got to post yourself before anyone talks to you?

That's like asking how many licks does it take to get to the center of tootsie pop! :laughings:

Welcome GS! Based upon looking at your activity on your profile page it appears you've figured out how to get social here...This is an old BBS with dudes like me who have been here waaaaaaay too long, some in between and a ton of noobs. As the web has evolved and provided things like Facebook and Youtube this site has evolved around them. There are a ton of people who have some great knowledge here with regard to home recording. You just need to post in the right threads to get acquainted with us...be aware you're dealing with some but not all "eccentric musicians" and homewreckers so it can always go south pretty quick...It used to be REALLY bad but the moderators have done a good job of getting people to be relatively decent and respectful...The mantra here is "Just don't be a dick"....One way to see where the action is rather than just coming and seeing if someone posted in your thread or your friends thread is is by clicking on the "New Post" link in the upper left hand corner...That's how I came upon your post...

Think you'll find HR.com to be a valuable resource for you if your trying to learn how to get your music recorded well...

Tomco

This has got to be the unfriendliest music site I've known. How long have you got to post yourself before anyone talks to you? I've seen long threads with answers that have nothing to do with the OP. How about the one that starts off telling us what compression does, but the answers go on about whether we should read books? Even the one saying 'back to the OP' has nothing about compression in it. I know musicians can be self-obsessed but WTF?

Your question: not long depending on interest

Your post / description: rant is not worth a response.

Cheers.

No.

I think people who sing, who are musicians, should know if their singing or playing is on more of the good or bad side of things.

Man I know some humble killer players and some pompous shitty ones which tells me know one really knows... Like the aforementioned Dylan and his millions...some people say he is terrible and some things I have heard him do sure were...on the other hand his styling on things like lay lady lay I really like... Some people say Neil young can't sing and other folks say he is a brilliant singer so... everything is subjective to the given audience. I sure do like it when somebody gives me ataboys ...shameless self promotion? You betchya! shit I've got a gazillion hours of work / playing to get to the nowhere status I have achieved over the last 45 years....:laughings:

Man I know some humble killer players and some pompous shitty ones which tells me know one really knows...

Well, that tells you that the pompous shitty ones who are not able to tell...means they aren't all that good as musicians...or their pomposity is clouding their judgment.
I'm sure guys like Dylan and Young know exactly how they sound. They may not have the prettiest voices, but they can sing in key and are able to do it consistently.

Most guys asking "can I sing" (or play) who can't tell....it's because they haven't spent enough time listening or they're really just asking, do you like my singing, or playing....and in some cases, they are just looking for YouTube hits or some attention.

I mean...record a track of your singing or playing, and tell me if you notice when you are in tune and with the rhythm...and when you are not. :)
I'm sure you don't need to post it here for opinions....because you already spend 45 years and a gazillion hours working on it. Many of these "can I sing" guys appear to be total newbs who spent too much time watching The Voice and American Idol...and decided to give it a try. :D

Reactions: TAE
Have to agree, Miro.

I can't really imagine anyone being able to sing well but genuinely not being able to tell.
You have to have a certain perception and awareness to be able to do it - The same that tells you you've done it.

I've always felt that any 'Can I Sing' thread is either someone who can't, or someone who wants a hug or a free click.

Don't get me wrong, there's huge merit it 'Can I improve my singing' and discussion of techniques etc,
but if the question honestly is 'Can I sing; I can't tell', surely the answer has to be no without listening?

Anyone who can't tell on their own if their singing (or playing) is good or bad hasn't......
A) listened to any music
Or
B) is playing some kind of insincere "humble" game looking for validation
Or
C) is a total clueless moron
Or
D) is just looking for attention.

These are just however my opinions. :D

I believe most who are really some kind of musician, know how their offerings stack up to the pros.

Now someone who recognises 'what is', and that improvement is in order, is a completely different situation and deserves help.

It's like the old saying, "the wise man knows he doesn't know, whereas the fool knows everything"
:D

Back