How long before someone talks to you on this site?

Wilson initially called the song that is now known as “Pet Sounds” something more fitting for its original intent — “Run James Run.” Although the exact agreement Wilson had with the production team behind the Bond movie “You Only Live Twice” remains murky — both credited producers are dead — Wilson confirmed he made the track for the film.

“They turned it down,” Wilson said, contradicting accounts that he actually never submitted the track after losing his nerve.

Further explaining why the track ended up on the album after missing out on Bond, Jardine said, “Usually, when you’d do an album like that in the old days, you’d have nine or 10 good tracks that you’re happy with, but you’re required to have at least 11 or 12. So we’d always make an instrumental track or two to fill out the album.” With a laugh, Jardine said, “That was available ... so that’s really what happened.”

The Beach Boys and The Beatles had an echo chamber of inspiration in the mid-60s, with the latter’s “Rubber Soul” inspiring “Pet Sounds,” which in turn inspired “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.” As Jardine said, “It was always a competitive thing.”

Wilson has claimed in the past that “Pet Sounds” as a whole came from trying to keep up with The Beatles, telling The A.V. Club that after hearing it, he vowed, “I have to record an album as good or better than ‘Rubber Soul.’ If I ever do anything in my life, I’m going to make that good an album.”

Paul McCartney has admitted that “Pet Sounds” has made him cry and that “God Only Knows” is his favorite song in all of music history.

“The one thing that did stand out [from making ‘Pet Sounds’] — ‘God Only Knows,’ in my opinion, was one of the best things we ever attempted and completed,” said Jardine. He continued, “And [it] stands as one of the best songs ever written, in my opinion. I think I’m in good company with that assumption.”

The song specifically came from listening to “Rubber Soul.” “I was so happy to hear it that I went and started writing ‘God Only Knows,’” Wilson said. Apparently, he was also high during this writing session.By 1966, the only tracks to chart with “God” in the title were either overtly religious or about love of country — such as “God Bless America” by Connie Francis, “God’s Country” by Frank Sinatra or “God, Country And My Baby” by Johnny Burnette.

As such, the inclusion of “God” in the track could have been a detriment to radio play, something that Jardine thought about, but didn’t concern Wilson with “at all.”

In any case, Jardine supported the idea because it kept with the album’s attempt to redefine spirituality. “It’s a brilliant progressive idea to embrace all of the feelings and not worry about the nomenclature,” said Jardine.

Wilson’s bandmate also said he felt the title added to the effect that the song was “coming straight from heaven.”

To REALLY GET AN APPRECIATION FOR THIS MASTERPIECE check it out mang!

Back