How to get decent quality out of a Decent Mic

Lway

Wattup Guys. My name is Lway, and I'm a 17 year old Emcee from NC. I've been recording a lot since I got my first mic around 6 months ago in JUuy of 2011. My Mic isn't amazing, although I plan on getting a new one in the near future (Money kind of tight, feel me?)
I use Cool Edit Pro to record, And I'm just wondering what would be a good way to get the best quality that I can possibly get with the Microphone that I have. As you can hear from my songs, (In my signature) I don't have the best quality. Your input can make a lot of difference to the way I record, and try to get better in that aspect of the Hip Hop game, in order to have a productive future in the Hip Hop Entertainment business.

Wattup Guys. My name is Lway, and I'm a 17 year old Emcee from NC. I've been recording a lot since I got my first mic around 6 months ago in JUuy of 2011. My Mic isn't amazing, although I plan on getting a new one in the near future (Money kind of tight, feel me?)
I use Cool Edit Pro to record, And I'm just wondering what would be a good way to get the best quality that I can possibly get with the Microphone that I have. As you can hear from my songs, (In my signature) I don't have the best quality. Your input can make a lot of difference to the way I record, and try to get better in that aspect of the Hip Hop game, in order to have a productive future in the Hip Hop Entertainment business.

What microphone are you hoping to purchase, and what is your recording chain?

Are you talking about the microphone you HAVE. which is what exactly? Or the microphone you're going to buy?

The general advice is you won't get "professional sound" out of a USB mic. You may have to pony up and get a standard mic and an interface, which will cost you more than $150, I suspect.

I plan on getting yeti professional USB microphone, It's 150$, just gotta save up and stuff

I would not consider a Blue Yeti USB mic 'professional'. I'd hit up tweakheadz.com were I you.

Last edited:
you asked us how to get better quality out of the mic you have and you haven't told us what mic that is so we can't help 'till we know that.
Further ..... most here are gonna tell you that USB mics are a poor choice.

So basically what you guys are saying is that there's no possible way to get even decent quality out of a USB mic, and I'm basically screwed until I'm able to get studio time, which, if my circumstances stay the same right now, I won't be able to, and my music won't really sound as good as it could no matter what I do to it? Great..... It sucks not being able to afford shit guys xD

that's not what anybody said and you still haven't told us what kinda mic you currently have.

And no ..... with a small budget your music won't sound as good as it could.
But that's not to say we can't help you make it sound better. And you don't have to buy a USB mic ..... you can get an interface instead because it's the cheap interface in USB mics that makes them less than desirable.
Now .... answer the question and we'll find some cheap ways to improve your sound.
What ---- kind ---- of ----- mic ---- do ---- you ---- currently ------- have?

So basically what you guys are saying is that there's no possible way to get even decent quality out of a USB mic, and I'm basically screwed until I'm able to get studio time, which, if my circumstances stay the same right now, I won't be able to, and my music won't really sound as good as it could no matter what I do to it? Great..... It sucks not being able to afford shit guys xD

Jeez. That's like dreaming of driving 220 mph and bitching because your '89 Hyundai won't get above 75 mph. Yes, you have to pay to play but there are things that you can do to maximize your bang=for=buck ratio. That's where tweakheadz can help, take advantage of it.

Are you talking about the microphone you HAVE. which is what exactly? Or the microphone you're going to buy?

The general advice is you won't get "professional sound" out of a USB mic. You may have to pony up and get a standard mic and an interface, which will cost you more than $150, I suspect.

Now that was nearly invisible to me.

My eyes have gotten bad but bifocals are good for me. Real drag I usta have perfect vision.

The one thing I have noticed though is that my other senses seem to have improved to compensate - so it seems.

My eyes have gotten bad but bifocals are good for me. Real drag I usta have perfect vision.

The one thing I have noticed though is that my other senses seem to have improved to compensate - so it seems.

Once you hit about forty the gelatin in your eye liquefies and your vision suffers dramatically. In my case I suffered from lattice degeneration which caused both of my retinas to detach. Not fun.

Back