How does recording line level into an instrument level input affect audio?

noiseordinance

Hey there. Embarrassing question here. I've been using a tube preamp to warm up vocals, bass and guitar, and running it straight into an audio interface. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the whole "line-level out into an instrument-level in" factor. D'oh! So, my question, what exactly does this do? Does it damage the equipment? Does it overdrive the signal? I've been pleased with my recording results, but perhaps I'll get better results if I play by the rules. On a similar note, does anyone have a recommendation about fixing this issue for cheap? I hear people talk about Sansamp DI boxes for bass, but I'm not sure if that's a decent solution for guitar and vocals as well. Thanks for any input. My face is red here.

Well, what interface do you have?

Many preamps will accept mic level over XLR, line level over TRS and instrument level over TS/TRS.
Most interfaces will also accept all three, so depending what you have, you should be able to sort a solution.

If your interface doesn't have a line level input then you will be feeding a hotter signal than it's designed to take.
The simplest way around this is to just reduce the preamp gain so that the output falls in the instrument level ballpark.
It's not ideal to work this way, but it's not liekly to be the ruin of your recordings.

Well, right now I have a crappy 10 year old PCI interface. But I'm looking to buy a USB interface. I was checking out the Presonus AudioBox 22VSL which only accepts instrument level input. I use active pickups, and I really like the warmth I get from a tube preamp. So it sounds like I can either make sure I don't overdrive the signal, or I can stick something in between the tube preamp and the interface... That sound right?

Well, right now I have a crappy 10 year old PCI interface.

What is it?

So it sounds like I can either make sure I don't overdrive the signal, or I can stick something in between the tube preamp and the interface... That sound right?

Well yeah, but just go with the simpler option and buy an interface with mic/line/instrument inputs. :)

Tascam us122 does, presonus firestudio mobile does, I think (FW though).
There are a good few out there.

It's an EMU 0404 that's in my PC. But I bought a retina Macbook that blows away my PC's specs, so I'm selling it for about $200 and looking to get an interface within a similar budget. Get the right product for the job? That's a great idea! :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look at those. I can get a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter if that Firestudio box seems like a decent way to go.

I actually have that little unit. IIRC the preamps have much more gain than the USB presonus models.
It also has line inputs and accommodation for instruments.

Back