how do you make synth samples flow smoothly from note to note?

bball_1523

I'll try to explain to clearly, but please bear with me. I am trying to make one synth sample switch notes from let's say C to D. I was the notes to flow smoothly into each other so that the transition is smooth between the switch. I don't want to hear a sharp attack or a slow one either.

Here's an example from Enya's song "The Memory Of Trees."

Memory

*Click on the first track for the sample*

I was wondering how I can make my samples flow smoothly like Enya made it. I tried messing with the envelope, but I suck at that stuff, lol.

My Mom listens to Enya........ :eek: Nuff Said! :p

Mono synths work well for such things, as said before crank up the release/decay time and add the verb to it and it sould work prettywell.

-Blaze

If your trying to get notes to transition smoothly, I would say thats more of a pitch bend type issue. Playing the note once and bending it where you want the transition to occur should help, if you want to hear the change as two distinct notes, then work on the release time of the first note, and attack time of the second until you get a good result.

Nevermind what I said about pitch bend above, the sample from Enya tells me that pitch bend is not related to the type of sound you are shooting for, that would be an attack/decay type issue like everyone else mentioned.

Here's one.

There is a midi controller that is specifically set up to control a smooth slide from one note to another. It's continuous controller # 5 which controls the portamento of the sound. At low values this can be almost too subtle to detect while at high values it will take a very long time to reach the fundamental of the note you are sliding towards.

Here's a link to MidiOx, an indispensible tool for working with midi on computers. It will remap the CC 1 data generated by the mod wheel of your keyboard to CC 5 and allow you to try it out...

Back