how do you know if it sounds good enough? what am i missing?

space bandit

I am completely knew to recording and I am attempting to do voice overs in my home.

How can you tell if the quality of your recording is good enough??

What I am working with mainly is: for my interface I have a presonus audiobox usb, and for my mixer I have a phonic powerpod 820. As for my mic I interchange between two mics that I got in a bundle which are the sterling audio sp50/30. For software i am using Studio One 3.

Now i know for sure my gear is no where near professional, and that my software is more than adequate because I swear all these online tutorials i see are people with usb microphones using audacity in their showers, and they are able to get work with these types of setups. Now i don't want to hate on these people or anything but more hating on myself because I do not have the ability to know if the quality of what I am recording is adequate.

SO my main concern is... After i figure out some sound treatment and decide which room in my house i'm going to use. How can I determine for myself that what I am recording is good before i start editing? And I am assuming the answer is really just as simple as listening to the recording. So is it at some point i should give up on trying to improve the sound of recording in my crappy house and just start learning to edit?

Get the best sound you can when tracking, otherwise you'll spend endless hours trying to 'polish a turd'.

Get the best sound you can when tracking, otherwise you'll spend endless hours trying to 'polish a turd'.

One of the best bits of advice I was EVER given!

Do a recording, mix it down, play it on as many devices as you can, have friends listen, post it etc. Good is subjective as what it is you're trying to accomplish.

And if you're trying to avoid editing, it'll hold you back from what you can do to make your recordings sound 'good'. You can't polish a turd but you can enhance it's features! lol

M

Back