How do you deal with bands that don't show up to record?

AndrewClaycomb

I'm not sure where the right place for this to go is...

Today I blocked the entire afternoon to track drums for a band, I also have this same band scheduled on Friday and Saturday. Well they were supposed to show up at 11 am. I waited until 12 and went to get some lunch, came back and did some mixing on some other stuff all afternoon. I didn't get a call, nothing.

Should I allow them to record later in the week? I'm not charging them to do this, I just wanted some practice. But I'm charging other bands now, so I could have fit a paying band in if I knew they weren't going to show. What's the best way to handle them? I don't want to piss anybody off because I'm starting to get work entirely through word of mouth. (I'm a full time student, so I don't need the money but it's nice to have it to buy more gear!)

Just goes to show you that people value things according to what they have to pay for them.

I'd charge them from now on out.

If you'd arranged a time and date to do some recording and they can't be arsed to show up, then sod them. Don't stand for their ignorance.

I've only had one band who've done that kind of thing before. They tried to use the 'rock & roll' excuse but at the end of the day, it's complete ignorance. You don't want to be helping (That's what your doing!) people who can't be considerate enough to turn up on time.

Either charge them or tell them to f*&k off.

:)

I agree, the next time they want to schedule time with you, let them know that you are charging for your time now, and they can have it for a price; and a downpayment in case they blow you off again.

Apparently, the band felt your time and equipment was worth exactly what you were willing to charge them. It's not fair to you for them to not even give you a courtesy call to say they weren't coming in.

Obviously a band that is not serious about their profession. Don't do anything without a down payment. Never give your professional time up for free.

I agree with everybody, but also hear you on not wanting to piss people off. I'd say call them, ask if they still want more recording time. If they do, tell them politely that you can't afford to waste anymore time for free so you will have to charge them, even if it's a low rate. And require a down payment.

They apologized to me. They blamed it on poor communication amongst themselves and I (like a fool) accepted the apology. They did seem genuinely embarrassed and humbled.

What I'm hoping for is after this passes, they will record with me regularly at my normal rates. I'm sorta like a crack dealer, I try to get em hooked! I'm also really hoping they tell their friends how easy I am to work with so I might generate a little more business.

Maybe I'm just a sucker

They apologized to me. They blamed it on poor communication amongst themselves and I (like a fool) accepted the apology. They did seem genuinely embarrassed and humbled.

What I'm hoping for is after this passes, they will record with me regularly at my normal rates. I'm sorta like a crack dealer, I try to get em hooked! I'm also really hoping they tell their friends how easy I am to work with so I might generate a little more business.

Maybe I'm just a sucker

Your not a sucker - just dont give anyone anymore free studio time unless its for a friend/whatever. Someone said earlier, when someone has paid for something, even if its a minimal amount, its in their interests to show up. Puts the ball in their court if you will.

That's what deposits are for ;)

Yep- even if it's a friend, and/or free studio time, explain to them that time is money, if you block out time for them you expect them to show, time blocked is money lost, etc. You can always refund the deposit, if you choose, depending on the circumstances, but once you time is lost, it is lost forever.

My humble little studio gets used for more than recording. My band and my son's band both use it as a practice room, I also use it for teaching and I have a back room which is my workshop where i do repairs and set ups. With this much going on I do not tolerate someone booking then not showing. Book my space and I am likely to have to postpone or cancel something else, I require a deposit of whatever at least as much as I would have made using the space for another purpose. A non refundable deposit seems to provoke people to show up and on time, at least it works for me.

Back