How do I set Input and Output settings on a preamp?

Gary

Just bought a ART Tube MP in order to play acoustic guitar with vocals into my Mac. I actually only expected there to be an Output level knob, which I assumed would boost and control the signal level feeding into my computer. So now I'm a bit confused that there is also an Input level knob. If I'm playing my acoustic guitar (which also has a volume knob on it) into the Art and then into the Mac, how should I best set the the volume knob on my guitar, the input level and the output level i.e. guitar all the way up and then tweak input and output, all at medium level, etc.
Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Set the volume on your guitar wherever you would if playing through a normal amp....cranked is fine....

Dont enable the 20db swithch.....

To set the input knob , play at the hardest/loudest you will be playing and get it to where you barely get the peak light coming on, then back it off a hair.....

then set the output to where you are getting as hot a level on the computer as possible, as close to 0bd without htiing it.....if you cant get acceptable levels even if you crank the output, hit the 20db switch and start over......

Yo Gary: [some place in Indiana you're famous for!}

I have the ART dual channel mic pre and it also has the input/output knobs.

It's a matter of experiment as to what works best and, of course, the lights or meters that indicate how much is happening.

Since the guitar will get in there with a strong input, your choice is your choice. But, do use the 20db button for vocals; this will push your sound quality, if you get the input/output in control, to a better level. Maybe not CD level; but, I've come close to getting the CD quality by experimenting.

Then, there is your reverb. Too much can bury your solo; voice or guitar or whatever needs to be tested as you work on the mix before you "mix down."

If you can afford one, buy a Martinsound mic pre. I haven't got one yet but I'm leaning towards one.

Green Hornet

Look at the meters in whatever your tracking to, do you need the 20dB boost or not? That's really all there is to it. I would not suggest cranking the input just short of clipping, unless your going for a special effect. Aside from that, the clip light barely works anyways. Unless you can put out the volume of a close mic'ed kick drum with your vocal cords, or your running your Acoustic through a wall of marshall stacks.

For vocals, you will need the the 20dB engaged, unless your Robert Plant. You will also need the 20dB engaged if your using a mic on your acoustic. You may not need it if your acoustic has active electronics, build-in preamp/EQ section stuff etc.

Bottom line. Use the recording meters, that's your reference point. Use the 20dB switch if you need to, if not.. don't. Need a distorted vocal, crank the input, adjust the output until you get a good level on the recording meter. Slightly cleaner vocal, back off the input a bit, and increase the output until the meters look good, etc.

Back