How do I hook everything up?

Kekker

I'm the sound guy/guitarist for my band, which is just starting out. I've never been a sound guy before, but I know some stuff about mics so they picked me up.

We have a guitarist who will use a Shure SM57 to record, a vocalist with a USB condenser mic, a drummer with nothing yet, a bassist who will presumably use the same mic as the guitarist, and a keyboardist who can just hook right up to the pc. We don't have enough money for a good mixing board.

So, to the core questions. How would I hook up the guitar's mic to my pc without a mixing board? Is there a way for me to hook up everyone at once, or would I have to record everyone separately? How would I mic up the drummer?

Thanks for the tips

Do some reading in the stickies at the top of this forum. Its all been asked and answered before.

Top tip: Audio Interface

So much info would require.... A book!

Amazon has plenty of good basic recording books and you need to start your engineering education and reference library. Not something you're going to learn in a few posts...

Read this thread first, then come back and ask some more questions on any points you don't get.

What's your budget? you'll need an audio interface, the vocalist is going to be real pissed that his USB mic can't be used when you are recording the whole band at one time, and everyone is going to have to invest some money.

" and everyone is going to have to invest some money. "

Ah! The money! it's not women nor "artistic differences" that splits most bands but yer basic £.s.d.

I always suggest bands sit down together NOT IN THE PUB! Preferably with a disinterested 3rd party and work out how cash found for "group kit" and how members are dealt with financially if they leave etc.

On the actual gear front, yes sell the USB mic, might get an XLR cable for it. There really is only one way to go to record this many people at once, a multi-input Audio Interface and there is really only one you are likely to afford. The Tascam US 1800.

Dave.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of without wifi for almost a week. I'll read through the links, and pop back in if I have any questions.

Back