How do I get my monitors' low-end Hz rating based on -10dB?

JeffF

How I do get from my JBL LSR 305 monitors the low-end extension Hz rating as based on -10dB spec?

Do I need to make sure the source signal sent to the monitors is -10dB, or do I simply set the monitors at -10dB (regardless of the level sent)?

Thanks, JeffF.

Not sure what you are asking. The frequency spec is +0/-10dB, meaning the signal at 43Hz is up to 10dB lower than the 'average' level for the upper range of the speaker.

Extension Hz rating?

The -10dB option just makes the speaker more sensitive to enable full output when connected to equipment that only puts out that level. +4dB outputs would seriously overload these speakers if connected on that setting - so the switch just sets the correct range. As for bass, if you discover it is light, you can up the LF response - but that's about it? What are you up to?

The reason I ask is because on my source unit, the Monitor Out jacks are rated @ -2dB. Can I safely use the -10dB setting on my monitors and still get the -10dB Hz rating from my monitors?

Its probably simple in understanding, but I don't grasp this area in overview, source/monitors dB usage.

I appreciate your patience--JeffF.

The reason I ask is because on my source unit, the Monitor Out jacks are rated @ -2dB. Can I safely use the -10dB setting on my monitors and still get the -10dB Hz rating from my monitors?

Its probably simple in understanding, but I don't grasp this area in overview, source/monitors dB usage.

I appreciate your patience--JeffF.

You are mixing up two quantities that ARE related sometimes but in this case not!

First is the sensitivity of the speakers. "-10dBV" is the voltage level the internal amplifiers need (usually for a specified output, in dB (!) Sound Pressure Level. Another decibel animal!) The other setting is +4dBu* and is a lower sensitivity for use with 'pro' grade equipment.

The -2dB level of the monitor out jacks frankly means Jack. Minus 2dB what? dBV or dBu? At what level in the DAW in dBFS is this 2dB level tied to?

Decibels are also used to specify the frequency range of loudspeakers, e.g. 55Hz to 22kHz +or - 3dB but this is a different usage from signal interchange. Most monitors have response altering switches on the back. Set at 'flat' and harken. If a bit bright, knock back the treble, if a bit boomy maybe notch the LF down a tad? R'ing T*M will tell all.

No, it is NOT "simple" friend! The decibabble jungle is pretty hard to get through, we all get it wrong sometimes. Connect the kit setting the monitors for +4dBu. If things are too quiet even flat out, go for the -10dBV option. AS EVER! Do a Google search for "Calibrating Studio Monitors" (really must get that saved!)

*dB "V" is referenced to one volt rms
dBu is referenced to 0.775 volts rms. Handy to know that Zero dBV is ~2dB higher than zero dBu.

Dave.

Dave (and forum community),

Please overlook my earlier lack of conciseness.

To rephrase, since my source (the Tascam) Monitor Jack is rated @ -2dBV, will using the monitors set @ -10dB input allow me to (safely) achieve their lowest rated Hz, which is available @ the -10dB input?

(No DAW usage by the way, in reply to Dave.)

Separately of request, I've done a lot of prep reading/video watching (on various topics) over the last year while acquiring my recording/mixing equipment, but I've not seen the above area discussed in any reviewed resources.

Any recommended resources explaining (in layman's terms) monitor/source matching would be appreciated as well.

I understand calibration for a room via monitors that have built in EQ selections, but thanks for mentioning this in earlier reply.

Again thanks, JeffF.

Last edited:
I still think you are not quite understanding what you are asking. If your question is asking whether or not your monitors ability to reach their rated low frequency (bass) response (or even their high frequency response) is affected by their db input settings the answer (in this case) is........not at all. That question would not likely be the subject of much on-line debate or coverage.

If I'm not understanding what you're asking.........my apology.

Your Tascam has output levels that are considered 'consumer' or non-pro line levels and show in the specs as a standard output level of -10 dBv. Professional line level is considered to be +4dBu which is a much larger electrical signal than -10dBv. The monitors provide a switch to accommodate for either inputting the lower -10dBv signal or the higher +4dBu signal. It basically changes the coarse input gain of the monitor by way of the switch to match input levels. Nothing at all to do with frequency response,

Can you point to the page in the Tascam manual that states, "To rephrase, since my source (the Tascam) Monitor Jack is rated @ -2dBV," (?) I think you said you had the DP008EX from another thread and I couldn't find a reference to -2dBv.

I looked at the manual for my LSR305's and can't find anything closely stating "lowest rated Hz", so I have no clue where that may have come from. Can you post a screenshot of the reference where you found this?

There is on the LSR305 monitors two switches that are LF and HF trim and these are coarse EQ switches that are in 2 dB steps.

Pro & Non Pro Line Levels

All you really need to know is what is stated in the LSR305 manual for setting the -10dBv/+4dBu switch....

Attachments

• lsr305.jpg
    lsr305.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 4
Mark,

Thanks much for the "line levels" link.

Of note, I was referring to the manual for my DP24SD, p. 75, Monitor Out jack spec--my DP008EX is for different intended personal purposes than the 24-track unit. Sorry for not clarifying.

I look forward to reviewing the information in the link you took of time to provide.

In regard to the stated source of the 43Hz rating @ -10dB, Mixonline.com @ JBL LSR305 Powered Studio Monitor - Mixonline did a review upon the LSR 305's release in which the writer refers to discussion with a named JBL marketing rep on this spec's testing environment. (You were proper in asking for reference of information.)

Most appreciatively, JeffF.

Last edited:
Back