How crappy is the TASCAM porta 02?

squirtingpus

I havent ever bought a 4 track before and my question is quite simple. Would the TASCAM porta 02 be an adequate recorder for me to use to make demo tapes with my band? Im on a real tight budget and cant spring for anything more expensive right now.
Thank you,
Matt Miller

In your shoes,I would try to find a used Tascam 424 or even a 414,because both of these machines allow you to record with the tape moving at double speed(3 and 3/4 inches per second).this makes a BIG difference in the quality of the sound.These machines cost about twice as much as the Porta 2 if you buy new,but there are a lot of people upgrading to digital gear these days and you should be able to find used ones that are in good shape.Cheers!

If you can find one used, then get a yamaha mt120 this has the double/single speed advantage, as well as being able to record all four tracks at once, and this is the only analog machine that i have seen that can be used to add effects after recording

I have the MT120 and I have to agree that it is cool to add the effects after the initial tracking. Mine is about ten years old and I don't know if they remedied this, but the EQ was only a graphic EQ instead of parametric, which is more suitable to recording. But I bet many of the newer recorders do allow to add effects after recording (at least those with mixers). I know my Fostex FD-4 allows this option.

Peace, Jim

Hey jim, they still haven't fixed it but hey it is well worth the eq trouble to get all the other advantages

Hey jim, they still haven't fixed it but hey it is well worth the eq trouble to get all the other advantages

Back