How to connect speakers to audio interface

dweggg

Hi, I owe a pair of very nice speakers that I want to set up with a Behringer U-Phoria UM-2, but I don't know how to connect these. The speakers come with a regular peaker wire input, and the audio interface comes with two RCA outputs (R/L). How could I set up this?
s-l300.jpgUM2_uphoria-behringer.jpeg

You're going to need an amplifier between the interface and the speakers. A decent home stereo receiver would probably be okay. Most studio monitors people here are using are active, with built in power amplifiers.

^^ What he said.

If you have a pair of very nice speakers with inputs like that, I'd expect you would have a stereo amplifier around the place to drive them. Get a set of RCA to RCA leads, plug one end into the interface, and the other into an aux input of some sort on the amp.

^^ What he said.

If you have a pair of very nice speakers with inputs like that, I'd expect you would have a stereo amplifier around the place to drive them. Get a set of RCA to RCA leads, plug one end into the interface, and the other into an aux input of some sort on the amp.

The fact is that they came with an old radio which I suppose it had an amplifier or whatever inside. Are there any affordable options other than an stereo amplifier?

The fact is that they came with an old radio which I suppose it had an amplifier or whatever inside. Are there any affordable options other than an stereo amplifier?

My 'affordable' was a pair of JBL LSR305 monitors which on sale were about $240. Your 'affordable' may be different. There are monitors for less money, but the quality of the sound sometimes isn't all that great. It kinda depends what you want to use them for whether a budget set would work for what you are doing.

What sort of radio did these speakers come with and is there a tag (manufacturer, model, watts) on the back you could post a picture of?

If you have any thrift stores nearby take a look there for an used stereo receiver. The one near me usually has a half dozen or so at about $25 or less. Sony, Denon, Pioneer are a fwe good names.

If you have any thrift stores nearby take a look there for an used stereo receiver. The one near me usually has a half dozen or so at about $25 or less. Sony, Denon, Pioneer are a fwe good names.

+1 to that. You can get a good, or even great, stereo amplifier for next to nothing these days.
I've had a few Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha.

If you don't have something suitable in your own attic/garage, I bet you know someone who does! ;)

+1 to that. You can get a good, or even great, stereo amplifier for next to nothing these days.
I've had a few Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha.

If you don't have something suitable in your own attic/garage, I bet you know someone who does! ;)

I still have an old analog tuning Marantz that I used years ago to drive a pair of speakers with my old keyboard setup. Probably a few other old stereo receivers stashed up in my barn as well. I need to do some cleaning out :(

I still have an old analog tuning Marantz that I used years ago to drive a pair of speakers with my old keyboard setup. Probably a few other old stereo receivers stashed up in my barn as well. I need to do some cleaning out :(

I have it on good authority that all such stuff will be useful, someday...
That day is the day after you throw it out. :(

First of all, thank you all for the information. I'll try to find an stereo amp, probably used. Have a nice day!

"came with an old radio" Be careful then of the power rating of any amplifier you buy. Most of that old "micro-fi/ music centre" kit was only rated at about 12-15W per channel and even quite a modest "proper" hi fi amplifier will be double that and that poses the risk of blowing the voice coils if you get carried away! No great loss I grant you since they cost you nowt but then you will be without.

If the speakers have "rating plate" post a picture of that or give the details. Even just the make and model would help. Of course you CAN safely run a 10W speaker off a 100W amp but it takes care!

Dave.

Back