How can I find bands to record?

ultrasound

Hey since I'm just starting out in recording, I thought it would be a good idea to get myself a portable multitrack (Zoom R16) and see if I can find some local bands to record for practice. My idea is to record in local rehearsal rooms since I don't have my own space or access to a studio. So I placed an advert in Gumtree but nobody is interested in having me come to record them. Maybe some of you guys could help me to make my advert better so it encourages some interest?

This is the advert I placed:

I'm Looking for a band to record so this is a great opportunity for you if you are in a band an have some songs to record. I'm doing this to get more experience in sound engineering.

Your band will be recorded on a portable multitrack using a variety of microphones. Full multitrack drum recording is possible for example. Post-production work will be performed using Pro Tools. I'm aiming for as professional a sound as possible.

I can come to record at your regular rehearsal room or we use a room in one of the many practice studios in Edinburgh.

A little about me: My name is James and I'm 32. I studied Sound Design at university and I'm an amateur musician.

Get in touch if you're interested.

Hey since I'm just starting out in recording, I thought it would be a good idea to get myself a portable multitrack (Zoom R16) and see if I can find some local bands to record for practice. My idea is to record in local rehearsal rooms since I don't have my own space or access to a studio. So I placed an advert in Gumtree but nobody is interested in having me come to record them. Maybe some of you guys could help me to make my advert better so it encourages some interest?

This is the advert I placed:

One thing I do is make the rounds of the local clubs and music stores and leave cards. Hope this helps. Good luck!

If I were you I'd go to shows of music I would enjoy recording, talk to the musicians, hand out business cards. Bring fliers for people in the audience, with a t-shirt on that says: Are you in a band? I'll record you cheap/ free!

I'd post on any website that would let me with no cost. Craigslist, Backpage, etc. And I'd email any band I could find from your area on Bandcamp, MySpace, SoundCloud. For example on soundcloud you can search Edinburgh, and all sorts of people pop up.

Here's my version of your ad:

Are you in a band? Do you want your songs recorded CHEAP/ FREE (you never said how much it would cost)?

Today is your lucky day! You want your songs recorded, I want experience. I will come record your band/ ensemble, mix and master it all, and give you a CD with the mp3 files.

We can record at your regular rehearsal spot, or we can go half on a practice studio.

Equipment: Plenty of mics (sm57/58, akg, etc), stands, Tascam DP 24 portable multitrack recorder (or whatever you have), Pro Tools, etc.

Me: James, 32, Sound Design student at university, amateur musician (guitar, basoon, trumpet). Here is a sample of my recordings: www.______

You: A band, a solo instrumentalist/ singer, a stand up comedian, a hobo who likes to hear himself talk, a full orchestra... (whatever you are willing to record)

Let's make some beautiful music together. Contact me at: xxxxxx

GOOD LUCK!

If I were you I'd go to shows of music I would enjoy recording, talk to the musicians, hand out business cards. Bring fliers for people in the audience, with a t-shirt on that says: Are you in a band? I'll record you cheap/ free!

I'd post on any website that would let me with no cost. Craigslist, Backpage, etc. And I'd email any band I could find from your area on Bandcamp, MySpace, SoundCloud. For example on soundcloud you can search Edinburgh, and all sorts of people pop up.

Here's my version of your ad:

Are you in a band? Do you want your songs recorded CHEAP/ FREE (you never said how much it would cost)?

Today is your lucky day! You want your songs recorded, I want experience. I will come record your band/ ensemble, mix and master it all, and give you a CD with the mp3 files.

We can record at your regular rehearsal spot, or we can go half on a practice studio.

Equipment: Plenty of mics (sm57/58, akg, etc), stands, Tascam DP 24 portable multitrack recorder (or whatever you have), Pro Tools, etc.

Me: James, 32, Sound Design student at university, amateur musician (guitar, basoon, trumpet). Here is a sample of my recordings: www.______

You: A band, a solo instrumentalist/ singer, a stand up comedian, a hobo who likes to hear himself talk, a full orchestra... (whatever you are willing to record)

Let's make some beautiful music together. Contact me at: xxxxxx

GOOD LUCK!

HoBo? That was good! I have a guy coming in next week to do poetry readings for 2 hours, hope I can make it through it. LOL:facepalm:

I would have a tough time with that. Good luck, here's to the poetry not being horrible, and him not having an incredible stutter when faced with the pressure of being taped.

OK, I made a new ad. It goes like this:

Are you in a band? Do you want your songs recorded for free? Today is your lucky day! You want your songs recorded, I want experience. I will come record your band, mix and master it all, and you can keep the tracks for your own use.

We can record at your regular rehearsal spot, or we can hire a room in a practice studio.

Equipment: Plenty of mics, stands, Zoom R16 portable multitrack recorder, Pro Tools, etc.

Me: James, 32, graduated in sound design and and also an amateur musician playing mainly
guitar but also keyboards and drums.

Let's make some great music together!

Thanks so much for your help:thumbs up:. Hopefully I'll get some replies now.

Back