How can I do that ?

Firefab

Hey, I want to know if I can do that with my gear.

I record my stuff with Focusrite scarlett 18i20 and Sonar. I want to know if it's possible to apply a compressor/reverb/effects on vocals WHILE recording(to hear it) but that doesn't affect the signal(Recording the vocal clean).

So, vocals with effects on the headphone but the signal are currently recorded clean !

Thanks !

You should be able to do that. I have done it in Reaper: set up a track with assorted effects, turn on the track monitor, then record. There is a little bit of latency, but it shouldn't be that much to throw you. Someone more familiar with Sonar might be able to help.

I've never even thought of doing it when I record (my own) vocals - I don't want any noise or distractions in there. Imagine trying to stay in key with a chorus effect going!

I've never even thought of doing it when I record (my own) vocals - I don't want any noise or distractions in there. Imagine trying to stay in key with a chorus effect going!

I keep it minimal. Verb and compression, including de-ess. no eq or anything else. I have been experimenting with taking one phone off of one ear, but i haven't fully decided what works best for me yet. For me, the vocal playback volume is the biggest factor. too much and i can't get into the performance, too little and i can't hear what the hell i'm doing :) but verb and slight compression work well during tracking for me.

Back