How To Burn/Upload WAV Files To/ From A DVD Between 2 PC s?

Demolitionman

Hi All,
I hope some of you kind people here would be able to advice & help with a few questions I have. Here goes;

I recently recorded a few songs at my nephew's home studio in Cubase 5 in 32 bit! (I know he needs an upgrade!)
I now need to export/copy all the WAV track files on to a keyboardist's PC with Cubase 7.5 to record the keyboard parts! Unfortunately, on my nephew's micro ATX PC 1 USB port on his PC is broken the other remaining port doesn't seem to work! So, the only other choice I/he have/has is to burn the entire WAV project track files on to several DVD discs! Yes, the DVD player still works!

What if any special format "burning" software should I use to to burn these files on to the DVDs? ( or does Cubase 5 already have it's own CD/DVD burning software?)

I wonder whether I'd be able to open these WAV files again on to the keyboard player's Cubase 7.5 in 32 bit without any problems for track editing & recording?

I am so sorry for asking such "noobish" questions as I'm just starting to learn & understand all this! So any help or advice will be greatly welcome & appreciated.

Thanks

You want to export each track as a standalone (mono in most cases) .wav file. Burning it all to blank DVD-R's should be as easy as using the burning engine in Windows Explorer.

Thank you!

Would just 1 DVD-R suffice, since the total size of the entire WAV project files are about 30GB! Is DVD-R preferable to DVD+R, or are there any special reasons to use only DVD-R exclusively?

Would Cubase 7.5 decode/open & play these without any additional software?

I use DVD-R for moving data around.

If you use Nero or any data DVD creation software there is no particular problem in writing or reading DVDs.

However, when working with Cubase on those files, it is best to get them off the DVD and into a folder on your hard drive somewhere first.

Thank you for this very helpful info! So you mean that once I upload the files in to a seperate folder, on to the HD, then I can just open these in 7.5? Sounds easy enough!

Is it possible to import the Cubase 5 soft drum's individual tracks seperately after first uploading all the other audio tracks? The reason I ask this is, I just realized that all the drum tracks in these WAV files are in mixed stereo only, but i need to correct a few mistakes & replace the symbols with real ones!

Is it possible to import the Cubase 5 soft drum's individual tracks seperately after first uploading all the other audio tracks? The reason I ask this is, I just realized that all the drum tracks in these WAV files are in mixed stereo only, but i need to correct a few mistakes & replace the symbols with real ones!

I would expect Cubase 5's soft drum to operate the same as other drum applications, i.e. it is based on midi driving drum samples.

If that's the case, you should be able to (I'm not a Cubase user) to select the midi used for your drum tracks and export it as a midi file. This can be saved to the DVD along with the audio files, and imported into Cubase 7.5. Do this before or after the audio, it shouldn't matter.

However, what will matter is making sure you set the right tempo (though this should be embedded in the midi file), and getting all the audio files lined up to start where they should.

Is he connected to the net? You could always get a NAS HD (Mycloud) or use a cloud storage service. That would make it really easy. Upload, download pretty straight forward.

Is he connected to the net? You could always get a NAS HD (Mycloud) or use a cloud storage service. That would make it really easy. Upload, download pretty straight
forward.

Hmm? Others no doubt do better but my upload speed is just 0.84M so DVD might be faster!

Dave.

Hmm? Others no doubt do better but my upload speed is just 0.84M so DVD might be faster!

Dave.

Yea, that would be a problem unless everything is kept local. The NAS HDs can go through the net or you can access via LAN.

Consider using google drive which offers 15GB of data in the cloud.

Connect all your computers to the same account.
One move to a pc would change automatically to all of them.

No need to burn cd/dvd while you can just drop the data into a folder :)

When you have a download speed of 1.3 mbps and upload of 0.13 mbps, cloud storage of WAV files is extremely problematic

Can the two computers be brought together?
If so and you have a conventional internet router you can, for the price of an Ethernet RJ45 CAT5E (OR cat 6) cable, link the two machines and swap files. Even at a basic 100mbps this will be much faster than burning or cloud shunting.

If the two PCs have Gigabit Ethernet ports you could plug them together (hardly ever need a Xover cable these days) and REALLY whizz stuff across!

Dave.

When you have a download speed of 1.3 mbps and upload of 0.13 mbps, cloud storage of WAV files is extremely problematic

Maybe with some exreme .rar / .zip compression? You can minimize the data from 700mb to 400mb , I know it's still slow but leave your pc a night online and it should be good to go I suppose :)

Another solution if you want to transfer data from a computer to an another (this solution works only if the computers work in the same area) is to use an ethernet cable and connect the 2...
Insta-ultra speed with $3 using an ethernet cable :D

"
Another solution if you want to transfer data from a computer to an another (this solution works only if the computers work in the same area) is to use an ethernet cable and connect the 2...
Insta-ultra speed with $3 using an ethernet cable"

Err? Did I not just inform him thusly? And if you are going Gigabit Ethernet, do not cheap out on the cable. The RockBottom Shop ones work, sort of, but they do not run at full speed.

Dave.

"
Insta-ultra speed with $3 using an ethernet cable"

Err? Did I not just inform him thusly? And if you are going Gigabit Ethernet, do not cheap out on the cable. The RockBottom Shop ones work, sort of, but they do not run at full speed.

Dave.

Well sure, but even with no full speed it's better to use this rather than waste money on DVDs for this kind of purpose. The cable will work for more transfers, unless he purchases a re-writable
dvd which would cost around $3. I agree 100% with you, I just compared the prices between them and tried to give the best and most cost-friendly solution.

Back