How is 1/4 time signature said?

If there are 3 of them in a bar (3/4), they're still called "quarter notes" ..
Yeah. Hell I don'know

IDK now I'm thinking '1/1 is the best bet :D

..Least you never loose the 'one

That's exactly it.
A crotchet is a quarter note. I suppose traditionally it's a quarter of a bar or measure in 4/4. Maybe that's why it's called a quarter note.

In 3/4 time you have three crotchets per bar, which is three 'quarter notes' per bar, except they're not anymore. :p

Time signatures make sense as fractions though, don't they?
4/4 = four quarter notes = 1

3/4 = three quarter notes = 3/4 of above. Each bar is 3/4 as long as a bar of 4/4.
4/2 = 4 half notes per bar = 2 Each bar is twice as long as a bar of 4/4.

Yeah. Hell I don'know

IDK now I'm thinking '1/1 is the best bet :D
OK good. that makes 3 of us. Now I feel better. :eek: :D

That's exactly it.
A crotchet is a quarter note. I suppose traditionally it's a quarter of a bar or measure in 4/4. Maybe that's why it's called a quarter note.

Time signatures make sense as fractions though, don't they?
4/4 = four quarter notes = 1

3/4 = three quarter (crotchets) notes. Each bar is 3/4 as long as a bar of 4/4.
4/2 = 4 half notes (minims) per bar. Each bar is twice as long as a bar of 4/4.

1/4 = 1 quarter note per bar. Each bar is a quarter as long as a bar of 4/4.
I got hung up on "crochet" and missed the rest of this post, which is a great explanation of it.....for now. :eek:

Well this thread has become quite the read :D

Either way, I know that I'm going to say "[...] so in Ableton instead of setting my metronome to 'four four' I set it to 'one four'. Then, as you can see, on the grid 4 buttons represent 1 bar."

Really? Well all along all I was trying to say is I don't think '1/4 is a time signature, it just doesn't add up.
If you write a measure that has only one note, and one count..
no ..... in 1/4 a measure is only one count long and ALL you can put in it is one quarter note or various subdivisions of that quarter note.
The time signature stipulates that .... it says 1 beat per measure and the type note that gets a full beat is a quarter note. You don't change the quarter note to a whole note just because a quarter note fill up the measure.
1/4 stipulates a specific scenario.

no ..... in 1/4 a measure is only one count long and ALL you can put in it is one quarter note or various subdivisions of that quarter note.
The time signature stipulates that .... it says 1 beat per measure and the type note that gets a full beat is a quarter note. You don't change the quarter note to a whole note just because a quarter note fill up the measure.
1/4 stipulates a specific scenario.

Great answer - Very concise.
Why can't I do that! :facepalm:

Back