Home recording not working out. Waaay too much noise and no signal level.

MrATM63

The title says a lot of it. I have a M-Audio M-Track and a Akai EIE-pro, a basic M-Audio mic and a Shure SM7B. Things were working fine for the longest time, then I updated to Windows 10 :mad:It hasn't worked right since. It's almost like the whole thing got contaminated. I have to crank up my levels soo hi to get anything that what I get is pretty much unusable. I record with Audacity. Originally, I would record with the level at about 2/3 and I would get a nice waveform on the screen. Now it's cranked, doesn't matter which mic or mixer and I see no waveform till I hit normalize, then there it is, but what noise...oy! Any ideas? Thanks for your time, I really do appreciate it.

Last edited:
I no longer have a W10 computer (looks as tho' I might have to get one soon!) but, are you, can you use ASIO drivers?

See, AFAIK, the OS has no say in matters musical when you do.

In any event 'normalization' WILL usually result in a noise hike, look for other ways to increase volume by 6dB or so at a time.

Fork! You CAN'T use ASIO with Audacity! Download a demo of Cubase or Samplitude then go on the web for ASIO drivers for the AIs.

I cannot quickly find W10 drivers for the Akai, might have to sign in (PITA!) There is however a W10 driver for the M-Audio AI.
Dave.

Last edited:
Its not anything inherent in W10, plenty of people use it no problem. It's more likely a driver issue.

You wanna be sure? You think the update broke your system??
step 1- Clean reinstall.
step 2- report back.

I'd start with drivers though.
The EIE Pro: W10 DRIVERS HERE
M-Track: W10 DRIVERS HERE
Make sure those are right.. and tell us how it works out?

side note.. I thought the title of this thread was "homerecording.com not working out. Waaay too much noise and no signal level."... and I cackled for 1 hour.

Last edited:
I agree with [MENTION=89697]ecc83[/MENTION]. Audacity does not have the ability to read the ASIO file. I did a comparison between Audacity and Reaper. There was a 26db difference concerning the noise floor. I used a Tascam US 16x8 interface as well as an Alesis FX 8 channel USB interface. As far as my 15 min of searching for your interface ASIO drivers, I can not fine where windows 10 is listed. You can check out the info I found here.

Back