hissing/whine sound during recording and playback

Johnnie_Coleman

Hello All,

I'm adding to the pile of hissing/whine noise questions. I thought I had this solved but,sadly it came back agian. first what i'm using

MIC:Audio Technica AT2020(XLR not the usb version), (brand new)
INTERFACE: Prosunus audiobox usb 96 (used)
HEADPHONES: Audio technica mx30.(brand new)
to a desktop PC

I'm wet behind the ears and just getting into all of this for vocal work so not using any instruments. what i've tried so far

>tried differant usb ports (2.0 and 3.0)

>bought a powered usb port. This worked for 1 full day no hissing or anything on my headphone or on play back thought this was my fix. then it came back not AS loud but, then went right back to the original issue. Now it's only silent for 2 mins and then it comes back(if i unhook and plug it back in)

>switch pc's still having the same issue tried all ports (all 2.0 ports fyi)

>switched out XLR cables

>used another usb power cable for the prosonus interface

>used different headphones

>played back from PC speakers. it's still there

>tested on a generic XLR mic. I used a mic that doesn't need phantom power and it goes down almost completely gone still a tiny whine but for the most an improvement but not silent. It noticeable in the playback hissing disappears but the whine is still slightly there. even turn on the 48v phantom button while it was plugged in and still an improvement.

When I plug in the AT2020 it comes up when the phantom power is on(which this mic needs in order to use). 48v off it's almost ''bearable but, still hiss or whines(it alternates) in play back.

I've looked around on this forum before posting where I got most of the suggestions for. I'm at a lost I don't Know if I'll be forced to try and buy a different interface? let me say i Like to continue using the AT2020. I know the interface I got used but it has showed signs it's capable of providing a silent output I just don't know if I can get it to work with this AT2020. Any suggestions are welcomed. *sigh* even if its a suggestion for a new interface :[

I hope I provided enough information.

Thanks for the help

Just a thought for troubleshooting, have you turned off your onboard sound card? Do you get the noise when playing regular sounds through it, as a default sound device?

You can use the windows media drivers to just route your sound through. Switch everything to the interface and use it as primary. Check to see if you still have the hiss. If not, as stated, disable the sound card on the bios. Just to make sure it isn't causing some issue.

Also, long shot, make sure your interface is away form other electronics, like a monitor or speakers.

Just a thought for troubleshooting, have you turned off your onboard sound card? Do you get the noise when playing regular sounds through it, as a default sound device?

You can use the windows media drivers to just route your sound through. Switch everything to the interface and use it as primary. Check to see if you still have the hiss. If not, as stated, disable the sound card on the bios. Just to make sure it isn't causing some issue.

Also, long shot, make sure your interface is away form other electronics, like a monitor or speakers.

Thanks. So tried this out disable my on board sound card. messed with it for 10 mins and I had silence just listening to it. I start up audacity hit record an BOOM i have a high pitch whine, unplug the mic and plug it back in. it continues...

my PC sits on the outside away from the mic the monitor built in speakers but, I don't have them connected at all they are disabled they need a cable to goto the monitor to the PC to work

That almost worked... not sure why pressing record trigger the whine

I would have to suspect the Audio Box. Phantom power is produced by a DC-DC converter in the AI, this is an ultrasonic oscillator generating half a watt or so, a fault in the internal earthing or filtering could cause the HF to mix with the audio signal paths.

Turning OFF P power probably does not stop the oscillator, merely disconnects it from the mic circuits so a bit is still leaking through.

You really have tried pretty much everything else. I would like to see a 10 sec' 320k MP3 clip of the noise?

Dave.

I would have to suspect the Audio Box. Phantom power is produced by a DC-DC converter in the AI, this is an ultrasonic oscillator generating half a watt or so, a fault in the internal earthing or filtering could cause the HF to mix with the audio signal paths.

Turning OFF P power probably does not stop the oscillator, merely disconnects it from the mic circuits so a bit is still leaking through.

You really have tried pretty much everything else. I would like to see a 10 sec' 320k MP3 clip of the noise?

Dave.

Are you saying I should try another box? I can try and see if I can post a clip later if it lets new people do that on here?

Are you saying I should try another box? I can try and see if I can post a clip later if it lets new people do that on here?

Yes, another AI. Not sure how many posts you need under your belt but you "Go Advanced" then "Manage Attachments" DON'T put it in a cloud! Don't work for me here!

Dave.

Late reply I know and never got a change to post a clip. I did take it into a local store to see if it was my mic or the box. it was the box. So now i'm looking into a new interface. Thanks again

Late reply I know and never got a change to post a clip. I did take it into a local store to see if it was my mic or the box. it was the box. So now i'm looking into a new interface. Thanks again

Ok, I am having a Soundcraft Notepad FX8 delivered today. Ok, a mixer/AI thing but good I read so I shall report on it ASAP.

Any questions?

Dave.

Back