Hissing/static noise Studio projects B1 & tascam us-122 mkii

BearGrizz

Hi and thank you so much in advance for any answers and ideas!

I've been trying to get rid of some pretty pesky hissing from my mono microphone plugged into the left channel of my tascam.
When i monitor the mic directly through my tascam box it sounds beautiful, however if i listen to it in windows or try to record to a mono channel in audacity for example it has some really bad noise.
When listening to it in windows and pulling the balance of the right channel down to 0 i still hear this hissing sound, I really dont have any ideas what to try.
I've updated the drivers for my tascam to the newest released in 2014 and messed around with whatever settings i could find(which is not much, sampling rate and such).
The fact that it sounds perfect when listening to it before it runs over my computer makes no sense to me, please dear knowledgeable people, if you have any ideas share them with me :)

I've been trying to get rid of some pretty pesky hissing from my mono microphone plugged into the left channel of my tascam.

Tascam? Recorder or Interface. Mic? Please provide the make and model as well as the cable the two are connected by. (XLR to XLR, XLR to 1/4 inch, XLR to 1/8 inch)

When i monitor the mic directly through my tascam box it sounds beautiful, however if i listen to it in windows or try to record to a mono channel in audacity for example it has some really bad noise.

As much as I dis like Audacity, this may not be your problem. What version of Audacity are you using? Are you listening from your computer via your headphone jack?

When listening to it in windows and pulling the balance of the right channel down to 0 i still hear this hissing sound, I really dont have any ideas what to try.

Are you recording your mono mic into a stereo channel in Audacity or converting it to stereo after it has been recorded?

I've updated the drivers for my tascam to the newest released in 2014 and messed around with whatever settings i could find(which is not much, sampling rate and such).

Does your Tascam come with the ASIO file? If so, this is what you need to use and Audacity CAN NOT read this file.

The fact that it sounds perfect when listening to it before it runs over my computer makes no sense to me, please dear knowledgeable people, if you have any ideas share them with me :)

OK, follow these directions to the letter.

Step 1. Open Audacity on your computer.

Step 2. Place 4 pounds of explosives under your computer, light the fuse and run. :laughings:

OK, maybe we can skip step 1 and 2. Can you please do a sample recording with 15 to 20 secs and upload it so we can listen to it? That will help a lot.

Last edited:

Here's an idea chap? SOME FEKKIN NUMBERS!

What mic? What Tascam ('box' is not a technical term we can work with)

What computer? What software are you recording with?

We need a precise line up of the gear you are using, how it is connected and some idea of the room size and your proximity to the anonymous microphone.

As soon as you can, post a clip of the problem. N.B. (sticky?) About 20 secs will do. 5 or so of silence at the start then bit of 'Mary had' then shut up for 10 or so. Personally I want it attached as a 320k MP3)

love to help, buggered by lack of info.

I see others have jumped in while this O F was thinking!

Dave.

Studio projects B1 & tascam us-122 mkii, Audacity, cleary

Oh! Wasn't clear to this OF from OP. Still, that setup should give excellent results. Had a 122 and a 144. Ok with W7/64, doubt W10 will work.

Audacity, if set up correctly should be fine but I will still suggest Samplitude Silver.

Dave.

Studio projects B1 & tascam us-122 mkii, Audacity, cleary

OK, what is your input level when you record into Audacity? If it is to high or to low, this will create BG noise as well. Your computer has a lot to do with this as well. Depending on the specs, there is no way to advise you on this. Your input level needs to be between a -12dbs and a -18dbs. If you do not know what this means, just let me know and I will hook you up. I keep the latest version of Audacity on my PC as well as keeping up to date with its functions to help others like you, who use it.

- Connecting the US-122mkii into a USB2.0 or USB3.0 port and is connected directly to the computer (not using using a USB hub)?

- Do you have a control panel like below and the "US122mkii" shows up in the options for input and output in Audacity? This control panel for my US144mkii works in Win7 Pro. I haven't tried it in win10.

reaperpic4.jpg

Back