High quality home studio

Franklittle256

So I'm trying to set up a high quality home studio which you probably have already assumed given the title.? I have already purchased Adams A7xs and started to acoustically treat the room. I also bought 2 sm57s and 2 akg c414s and plan to buy either a tlm 103 or 102 for another condenser. Now I'm at the point of deciding on rack gear. I have done a slew of research and am still not completely sure of what I want/need. I am big on expandability as well as analog gear. I'm not extremely into the whole plugin revolution that is occuring right now. In saying that I'm not really into the whole Apollo 8 kool aid that is being passed around right now. I do not see it having longevity and I really could give a fuck less about their plugins to be frank. Im not exactly a noob to recording but I figured I may get more responses on this thread if I posted here. I am recording mostly my own material for the time being. I play guitar and piano for the most part and make sort of experimental music. I'm looking for a setup that will sound great and maybe even a little different then what other people are currently using across the board of applicable.

If 'I' were setting up a 'high quality' recording place (for musical son. I love most forms of music but cannot play much or well) I would have only ONE maker of interfaces in my head...RME. Their present offering has converters and preamps easily comparable to the other top people. RME are also renown for THE best driver and THE lowest latencies (they are the only people that get the same, super low, latencies on USB 3.0 as TB)

They also give superb ASService and keep constant updates of soft and firmware. OS's might come and go but RME kit will stay in there swinging.

An absolute NO Brainer IMHO.

(see the last few months of Sound on Sound magazine)

Dave.

"plugin revolution" The revolution happened a long time ago. Except for certain compressors, most everything 'in the box' these days is all you need. Even if you do use some outboard equipment for processing, you are recording to digital, converting to analog for processing and then converting back to digital. (Other than putting the analog processing in your input chain when tracking).

Agree with the RME if you have the finances and the Apollo stuff is quite good.
The Focusrite Clarett 8Pre or 8Pre X are nice Thunderbolt equipped Interfaces Under $1200 and in the Apollo Price Range, the Focusrite Red4 and Red8 are highly regarded. (The "Air" feature on them is amazing!)
2 good quality (matching) channel strips might be something to consider as a start such as the Manley CORE.
Tube Mic? There are many to choose from and some of the Clones nowadays are quite good for less $$$ Lauten Audio makes a number of good ones as does Telefunken USA.
Could go on but wont.

... to be frank.

But you ARE Frank. :)

I'm not sure what you're really asking here...?
How to set up a high quality analog studio or a high quality digital studio or something in-between?

I went with a hybrid setup, so that I can get both analog and digital benefits and avoid any of the pitfalls...though TBH, my analog side is and would be too much for most home studio people to pursue. I just have a LOT of analog gear.

So describe with some more detail what you're trying to achieve...what's your preferred method of working...etc....and then you'll get better responses than just "get this" kind of gear recommendations. ;)

What I mean is...since you mentioned racked outboard...are you also talking consoles...or tape...etc....and since you mentioned a distaste for plugs and Apollo stuff...are you looking for something different, or looking to avoid it as much as possible?

I split my recording up into an analog-digital-analog-digital process. I find it works best for me, and takes the most advantage of both formats. Track to tape, using all analog gear during that stage....dump to DAW for edits/comps and pre-mixes utilizing plugins as needed...then mix back out from the DAW through console and add analog outboard processing as needed...and finally pull the mix back into the DAW for touch-ups and any mastering type of work I want to do.

Is that what you are after...?

I'll admit, it's not for the faint of heart. :D
I mean...working entirely in one or the other format gets you into a set groove. When you go back-n-forth, it can be unbalancing at times, frustrating at others, and also a lot of fun when it's locked in and everything gets going as it should. You're mind has to kind straddle both technologies, and there's a lot more to think about because each format has it's special needs and peculiarities that you have to deal with. Not to mention...a more involved analog rig is just more costly and needs more room. Which is why ITB is so big in the home rec world.

Basically to simplify my question I'm looking for the best setup I can get from the front end to the back end. Right now I'm debating between the isa828 and a couple other mic pres and then what interface I should be using. I would like the interface to not have its own mic pres as it is unecessary from my understanding. I wouldn't mind having some moog toys in there either. I don't plan on going too crazy on the analog side i.e. Tape machines or consoles. Do I really need a standalone mic pre if I have something like the higher end Rme interfaces with mic pres already included? I'm going to be using pro tools, reason and reaper as my DAWs.

Once you get beyond the midrange mic preamps, quality isn't the issue anymore. It's just personal preference as to the type of thing you are looking for. Super clean and slick, thick and dark, or anywhere in between. That's more about style than quality.

If you simply want clean preamps without much personality, the preamps in a high end interface (like the RME) will be just fine and serve that purpose.

Everything else will just be personal preference. Do you want compressors? What sort of compression do you want on your guitar and piano? The style of production will dictate the choice between a transparent compressor, or an 1176 with all the buttons pushed in.

I guess what I'm saying is: your question is too broad.

Perhaps this will help:

1) On the way to your recording software, your Microphones and Gear need to plug into something that will provide some sort of Gain Staging.
What will that be? Console/Mixer? ISA 828? API 500-Compatible Modules?
1A) Outboard Compressors? EQ? Effects? Etc? How will they interface?

2) After the Gain Process, you need Analog to Digital Conversion to move into your computer and in to your Recording Software.
What will that be? A formal AD/DA Converter? An AD/DA Interface with Inputs and Outputs?

3) What Computer and Operating System will you use? Mac? PC? Linux?
3A) What type/Size/Brand Video Monitor(s) will you use?

4) What will you Monitor Audio with?
Headphones? Nearfield Monitors? Midfield Monitors? CowField Monitors?
4A) With what and how will you control the Audio Monitoring?

5) What are the current acoustical properties of the rooms you will record and mix in?
5A) What Room Design, Acoustic Materials and Products will you use?
5B) GoBos?

6) What Studio Furniture and etc will you need to place all your gear? How will that affect #5?

7) Microphones: Bright and Airy? Colored and Dark? Crystal Clear? Mid-Range Forward? Old Standards? Re-Issues? Clones?
-A pair or 2 of Small Condensors?
-A pair of Ribbons?
-Reference Grade Earthworky?
-Reflexion-Filter Style Acoustic Units?

What do you want?

I have already purchased Adams A7xs and started to acoustically treat the room.
Put most of your energy there -- Your monitoring chain and the proper treatment of the space are absolutely paramount. Everything else is candy (and how good everything else is, is based on that chain and the room).

Yup. RME make great interfaces if you have the money. However, a number of ones a step of two down in price aren't that far behind. As Massive Master says, dollar for dollar, money spend on really good acoustic treatment will likely make a bigger difference to your end results.

As for "rack gear" you don't really need any. There are VSTs for everything. Frankly, even if you buy external rack gear, a lot of them operate digitally on the inside anyway. I sold my last outboard gear years ago and don't miss any of it.

"Yup. RME make great interfaces if you have the money. However, a number of ones a step of two down in price aren't that far behind. As Massive Master says, dollar for dollar, money spend on really good acoustic treatment will likely make a bigger difference to your end results."

Agreed in principle. My reccy of RME gear was largely based on their supreme longevity and their latest converters and pre amps are said to be on a par with virtually anything else on the market.

There is a bit of a debate about 'Monitoring" going on over at SoS forum atmo and there is general agreement that the bulk of your budget should go on monitors and next in the list a goodly chunk on room treatment (cost of the latter of course depends on how much you can DIY)

Dave.

Back