Hi, newby here

brightman27

super new to home recording. old musician, but new to this.

so im getting an apogee element 46 interface and start on garageband, with some descent mics. anyway, my question is the interface is basically a mixwe to send in one signal to garageband? I can have 2 guitars and vocal going in to interface, but I'll only see one track on garageband... correct? and you mix the 3 signals in the element software to get one signal to daw? so if you want indepent sound controls and effects and such on each guitar or mic, you have to do each, one at a time? I cant seperate all 3 signals to seperate tracks on garageband. just one.

Virtually all interfaces* send each input separately to the recording software simultaneously, all on separate tracks. You should be able to do four at once with yours, and up to twelve at once if you expand it with the ADAT input.

If Garage Band starts showing its limits, try Reaper.

*The typical exception is the small USB equipped mixer, which is often limited to 2 channels.

Virtually all interfaces* send each input separately to the recording software simultaneously, all on separate tracks. You should be able to do four at once with yours, and up to twelve at once if you expand it with the ADAT input.

If Garage Band starts showing its limits, try Reaper.

*The typical exception is the small USB equipped mixer, which is often limited to 2 channels.

I understand I'll see all inputs on the element software, but in garageband, do i just see one track composed of all three inputs from the interface. i dont understand how i can show each track on garageband. like each guitar and vocal.

You would open up the amount of BLANK tracks in GB you want to record and then assign each track to the input from your interface.

Yes I have. Thanks. Any more helpful tutorials, would be greatly appreciated. Or any more insight. I'm sure I'll have a million questions. Most all my equipment will be here Monday. Can't wait to get started.

Yea isn't that something. No cable. Smh. I got a lot of learning to do, and a lot of projects that have been put off through the years.

Back