Hi guys, first time home-recorder seeking advice.

Beaniween

(Bit about me : 27yo female singer/songwriter, Aussie).

So in the past when recording songs, it has always been through a bandmate/friends home studio set up, I've never had my own set up before; bit hopeless at it really. Until now, when I've wanted to recording something on GarageBand on my MacBook at home I've just done it straight into my laptop mic. But i have a decent microphone now, and borrowed a midi interface off a friend. I'm not sure how to make the sound register, I've got stuff plugged in and turned on, but I'm not savvy with this kind of audio equipment, so if someone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. I'm probably missing a vital chord or something, i just have no clue. I'm Using GarageBand on my MacBook, and its registering the Focusrite when its plugged in but no audio is coming through. pics of setup can be found here: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Make sure Garageband is set to output audio through the Focusrite. How are you planning on listening to the recordings? Headphones? Monitors?

What type of microphone have you got? I note that phantom power doesn't appear to be switched on, which would result in silence if you are using a condenser mike

Hi! Welcome to HR. :)

^^ +1 to Gecko.
Also, not strictly relevant but you have the mic set up as if it's end-address but it looks like it might side address.
Could be wrong but worth making sure.

Last edited:
yeah through headphones...I'm guessing ill need one of those large end jacks to put into the end of the chord to fit into the focusrite?

---------- Update ----------

cheers yeah side address

oh yeah i forgot to have it on in that photo. Its a behringer mic. It's got a 3-option switch on it with the symbols "^" "_" and -10dB....Little confused as to what they mean

Also settings are changed for output focus rite, but there's still no register of any sound on the audio track :-/. the focusrite itself is registering noise input with the lights flashing around the mic lead input though.

no wait scratch that, i've got sound register now

Oh! I can see YOU'RE going to be TROUBLE! Heh! Warm welcome B', we get FAR too few gals here (or on most audio forums tbh) .
Might as well start as we should go on?...Read this,
http://recordinghacks.com/pdf/behringer/C-1_P0226_M_EN.pdf

And when you have absorbed it read the book for the F'rtite! Seriously this is a technical game and often nothing works because of ONE tiny setting somewhere. I see a music keyboard? Does this mean you will be adding parts to your songs? Do you intend to dabble with MIDI?

If the answers are 'yes' and 'yes' then you are into some work. I do not have a mac no Garage Band so cannot help you there. I am not sure what use GB is for MIDI? You might be better to cut your 'time wasting' losses and get straight onto the learning curve of Reaper? The software is free to use but not expensive if you decide to buy it. BTW, software such as Reaper and GB are called Digital Audio Workstations, aka 'DAW' This audio world is dripping with acronyms and jargon (I think there is a glossary in HR somewhere?) NEVER! EVER be afraid to ask B.

So, I don't do macs, nor GB, can't play for toffee, (bit of bass G) but I have some electronics smarts so maybe a teeeensey bit handy?

Rock on,
Dave.

oh yeah i forgot to have it on in that photo. Its a behringer mic. It's got a 3-option switch on it with the symbols "^" "_" and -10dB....Little confused as to what they mean

As Dave eluded above regarding the Focusrite, the answer to your mic question is in the manual for that mic. ;)

Back