[SOLVED] Help with studio one 3

fvckthatguy

If anyone can help me get this issued solved then I would be very grateful. To start off with some info, my current setup is a neuman 102 condenser microphone, an acer aspire e 15 and a presonus 96 usb. My issue is that my mic seems to be extremely low and I cannot figure out how to rectify this in studio one 3. Whenever I try to record on an audio track while playing a wav the sound from the mic is terrible, I come off as very far away and worst of all I don't sound present on the beat. I would appreciate help, thanks in advance!

Last edited:
The most obvious cause is the mike being round the wrong way, i.e. it is a side address mike, so you sing into the side with the badge, not the top or the back.

If anyone can help me get this issued solved then I would be very grateful. To start off with some info, my current setup is a neuman 102 condenser microphone, an acer aspire e 15 and a presonus 96 usb. My issue is that my mic seems to be extremely low and I cannot figure out how to rectify this in studio one 3. Whenever I try to record on an audio track while playing a wav the sound from the mic is terrible, I come off as very far away and worst of all I don't sound present on the beat. I would appreciate help, thanks in advance!

The Neumann site seems to be down, even going USA did not help. I was looking for the phantom power current draw specification. You see, a lot of 'bus' powered AIs have less than the standard 10mA 48V capability and it is possible that the 102 is a bit hungrier than the Presonus 96 can feed!

As ever, try another XLR-XLR cable (you should have a spare anyway) then try another microphone. Any old dynamic should prove the cables and the pre amp as working.

If another mic works you HAVE to suspect loss of 48V supply and so (stand by for large horse!) GET a TEST METER.

I am obliged by the way for introducing me to that Presonus interface? I shall research it some more but it seems excellent for the money, especially so in that it has MIDI ports.

"I do NOT beleeeev it!" The maximum gain for the 96 mic input is given as just 35dB? Now, the 102 has a sensitivity of 11mV/Pa which is some 20dB down on many LDCs but 20dB up on most dynamics so, I would expect it to work quite well but not be overly loud. An SM57 would be a dead loss I think.
Presonus are NOTED for excellent mic pres, this poor specc' seems a mistake (typo?) to me.

It has since been pointed out to me that the gain control on the front of the 96 goes to +60dB and therefore the specification figure must be a typo..

As'y'were

Dave.

Last edited:
If you are using a laptop, then the next most obvious cause is that you are not hearing the neumann at all, but the laptop's internal mike, i.e. studio one is not configured to recognise the presonus

The Neumann site seems to be down, even going USA did not help. I was looking for the phantom power current draw specification. You see, a lot of 'bus' powered AIs have less than the standard 10mA 48V capability and it is possible that the 102 is a bit hungrier than the Presonus 96 can feed!

As ever, try another XLR-XLR cable (you should have a spare anyway) then try another microphone. Any old dynamic should prove the cables and the pre amp as working.

If another mic works you HAVE to suspect loss of 48V supply and so (stand by for large horse!) GET a TEST METER.

I am obliged by the way for introducing me to that Presonus interface? I shall research it some more but it seems excellent for the money, especially so in that it has MIDI ports.

"I do NOT beleeeev it!" The maximum gain for the 96 mic input is given as just 35dB? Now, the 102 has a sensitivity of 11mV/Pa which is some 20dB down on many LDCs but 20dB up on most dynamics so, I would expect it to work quite well but not be overly loud. An SM57 would be a dead loss I think.
Presonus are NOTED for excellent mic pres, this poor specc' seems a mistake (typo?) to me.

It has since been pointed out to me that the gain control on the front of the 96 goes to +60dB and therefore the specification figure must be a typo..

As'y'were

Dave.

The problem is this audiobox as the 48v compatibility so I don't believe its that. For example if I record over an empty audio track in a track below a wav it registers much quieter and distant sounding than if I record over that save wav file but I can't do that as it destroys the instrumental and defeats the purpose

---------- Update ----------

If you are using a laptop, then the next most obvious cause is that you are not hearing the neumann at all, but the laptop's internal mike, i.e. studio one is not configured to recognise the presonus

I don't think its that because I've tested speaking into the mic as opposed to speaking into the laptop

but I can't do that as it destroys the instrumental and defeats the purpose

That sounds like a flag...

Any new track should be just that, a new track, existing beside whatever was already there.
Previously existing tracks (your backing) shouldn't be altered or re-recorded or anything like that.

Is your vocal being recorded as I describe?

If so, can you attach a short mp3 or wav of your unprocessed vocal on its own, please?

Have you tried both mike inputs of the presonus?

When you create a track on Studio One, have you checked that the right input channel is selected?

Have you tried recording on the track on which you have your wav file, but at a point after the wav (so that you don't destroy it)? If that gives good levels, it suggests that that track is set to the presonus channel 1 (which your mike is plugged into). Then want you create a new track, it defaults to channel 2 (which your mike isn't plugged into.

That sounds like a flag...

Any new track should be just that, a new track, existing beside whatever was already there.
Previously existing tracks (your backing) shouldn't be altered or re-recorded or anything like that.

Is your vocal being recorded as I describe?

If so, can you attach a short mp3 or wav of your unprocessed vocal on its own, please?

Thank you very much, it actually ended up being a case of faulty headphones. Haha no wonder none of the manual were helping.

Have you tried both mike inputs of the presonus?

When you create a track on Studio One, have you checked that the right input channel is selected?

Have you tried recording on the track on which you have your wav file, but at a point after the wav (so that you don't destroy it)? If that gives good levels, it suggests that that track is set to the presonus channel 1 (which your mike is plugged into). Then want you create a new track, it defaults to channel 2 (which your mike isn't plugged into.

Thanks alot for the help buddy. It ended up being a random case of busted headphones that for some reason allowed recording to be done over an empty session but would stop functioning as soon as you inserted another track tab or even dragged in an instrumental.

Back