Help Setting Up Audio Interface Mixer Software Channels

ARNK

I have an RME Fireface UFX audio interface...

Fireface.jpg

Here's a snapshot of the mixer software for reference...

RME.jpg

As you can see, the interface has 8 separate hardware input jacks. I have a Dave Smith Instruments PRO 2, a monophonic synth with paraphonic operation. It's set to Stereo mode by default, but changing this parameter to Mono defeats all pan settings and modulation, (per the manual) effectively making each of the outputs a Mono output.

PRO2.jpg

In the software snapshot, you see separate Analog Channels AN 1 and AN 2 for the PRO 2's L/R in the top section. You also see Channels 3/4 together as AN 3/4. I could also combine Channels 1 and 2 AN 1/2.

A couple simple questions to start:

1) Are there any benefits/drawbacks to keeping Channels 1 and 2 separated (as shown in the image), and panning the Left Channel L100 and the Right Channel R100 (as opposed to combining Channels 1 and 2, AN 1/2, with pan set dead center)?

2) Would separated Channels AN 1 and AN 2 each panned center be exactly the same as combining both Channels, still keeping Channel AN 1/2 panned center?

Thank you in advance, depending on your feedback I may have a follow up question or two.

Kind regards

Morning ARNK (aka 'jammy sod'!) It is likely no one here has that RME interface and so, do NOT desert us but I know the UFX was reviewed recently in Sound on Sound magazine (they LOVED it!) and so a question on their forum might prove fruitful?

Dave.

Back