Help With Recording Set Up

ryko

Hey guys,

I'm looking to record vocals on my Mac. I've got these two pieces of equipment: (not sure if these are just considered preamps?)

- M-Audio MTrackPlus
- Onyx Blackjack

I've also got this microphone:
MXL V67G

I have Logic Pro X but I'm a lot more familiar with GarageBand so I've been trying to set all this up to see what it sounds like. Here's what I'm doing:

- XLR cable from my mic to the MTrackPlus's main XLR plugin (mine is the older version)
- Then I have a TLR to XLR cable going from the Line Output of the MTrackPlus to the main XLR plugin of the Blackjack
- I then have both of these plugged into my Mac

In the preferences for GarageBand I also have the Blackjack as my input and output. The output works fine since it plays back through my headphones but it's not able to record.

When I tap the mic my MTrackPlus is picking up the signal, the Blackjack does too but it seems a little delayed. Nothing is being recorded in GarageBand. I have the Line Output on the MTrackPlus turned up and the gain for that channel and same with the Blackjack. Could someone help me troubleshoot or figure out what's wrong?

use one or the other (MAudio or Onyx) - they are both USB audio interfaces. Mic > interface > computer (via USB). Select the input device in your DAW (make sure you have the mfr drivers downloaded and installed).

Back