Help with the recording process

scottsyrell

Okay, my band is going to record a self recorded demo. I have a Tascam portastudio 414 mkII 4 track tape recorder and a Behringer mixer and a couple mics. Ok so, I recorded drums through my mixer to my computer using a y cable and then when we went to record guitar here is the problem we found. Im using Audacity and when we pushed record it plays back the drum track through the headphones that are hooked to the computer but since the guitar was being recorded through the mixer TO the computer, it was heard loudly while the guitarist was trying to listen to the drums. What is the best way to fix this? What is the way most people record? Is audacity a good enough program? We arent looking to release an overproduced cd that is flashy, just a good recording. Any help would be tremendously appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with audacity but you could try running a line out from your soundcard and into a stereo line in on your mixer. You should be able to route that to your control room and monitor with the headphones there.

Back