Help with recording digital piano into ableton

scurry96

Hello,

I am struggling at the moment recording my Kawai CN25 into Ableton. I don't have midi cables nor a midi compatible interface.

I am running from the headphone jack on the keyboard to line in on a Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface then into Ableton.

The problem is I am receiving no signal at all in Ableton. I have made sure the correct audio input is selected, made sure everything is plugged in and made sure the lead I am using works and I am still getting nothing.

Any help would be fantastic.

The headphone jack on the keyboard is stereo and an 'unbalanced' sort of connection. The Line input on the Scarlett Solo is mono 'balanced' when using a TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) type plug from a source that is balanced. If you are using a 'stereo' TRS stereo type cable to connect the keyboard to the 'balanced' input of the Solo, there's a good chance the circuitry in the Solo is causing a cancellation of the stereo signal, thus nothing showing up in the Solo.

The Solo can't do 'stereo' (you'd need two channels on the interface to do that), but try connecting the keyboard to interface with a 1/4" TS to TS (tip-sleeve) type cable (guitar cable would work). You'll only be sending either left or right of the keyboard to the interface, but it may at least get audio through the interface. If it doesn't work you may have something else to be sorted out.

Have you tried the Solo with a microphone of other source that has worked?

It should be 1/4' stereo plug to 2) 1/4" TS L&R - use one, or, the other. Line in is, typically, guitar direct and stereo line out on keyboards, etc.. I wouldn't advise anything but TRS stereo plug on any headphone jack on newer instruments.

It should be 1/4' stereo plug to 2) 1/4" TS L&R - use one, or, the other. Line in is, typically, guitar direct and stereo line out on keyboards, etc.. I wouldn't advise anything but TRS stereo plug on any headphone jack on newer instruments.

Would generally agree. Most well designed headphone circuits, such as the one on this Yammy keyboard 'should' have resistors to limit current (see image below) in the event the headphones short or an incorrect plug is inserted. If the OP tries the TS cable and it works, we can lead him in a direction to use the headphone jack in a more proper way.

Attachments

• headphones.jpg
    headphones.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 9
Would generally agree. Most well designed headphone circuits, such as the one on this Yammy keyboard 'should' have resistors to limit current (see image below) in the event the headphones short or an incorrect plug is inserted. If the OP tries the TS cable and it works, we can lead him in a direction to use the headphone jack in a more proper way.

Yes Mark, no sane manfctr would make such a vulnerable headphone amp these days and anyway, in my book, Yamaha never made a bad ANYTHING! Mixer, piano, motorbike...A TS plug IS going to happen!

Dave.

No, there are recommendations in my korg manuals not to use MONO. But, I wouldn't have put mono into my headphone jacks in the early '70s, because I was recording stereo. hahh

Anyway, If something is to blow, try to make it the cheap gear - not the nice stuff. No, I don't recommend it

Yamaha gear is not in this picture, BTW.

It should be 1/4' stereo plug to 2) 1/4" TS L&R - use one, or, the other.
1/4" 'insert' cable was what garww was referring to....
Amazon.com: Hosa STP-203 1/4 inch TRS to Dual 1/4 inch TS Insert Cable, 9.8 feet: Musical Instruments

It would be best to have left and right mixed going into the Solo as the low and high notes of a piano or similar may have a stereo image where low notes are left and high notes are to the right.

Yamaha gear is not in this picture, BTW.

Kawai CN series digital piano headphones circuit in this picture with limiting resistors...... :)

Attachments

• kawai cn series headphones.jpg
    kawai cn series headphones.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 7
Ya, keyboard effects (synth, whatever) are on the hp jack. Better machines will have proper line outs and the MONO choice

What I am using is just a guitar lead from the headphone port into the line in on my interface so no stereo cable used. I have turned everything up and down, on and off. I did make sure last night the solo worked with my mic on an audio channel and it was absolutely fine.

I am receiving signal on the solo itself with the light ring around the gain nobs but still nothing into Ableton.

What I am using is just a guitar lead from the headphone port into the line in on my interface so no stereo cable used. I have turned everything up and down, on and off. I did make sure last night the solo worked with my mic on an audio channel and it was absolutely fine.

I am receiving signal on the solo itself with the light ring around the gain nobs but still nothing into Ableton.

So, you are getting a signal into the Solo, can you hear the signal from the AIs cans feed? (need to switch to Direct Monitoring) .
If so you cannot have the Line signal routed to an 'armed' track in Ableton but I cannot help you with that software because I no longer have it.

You could try the Instrument (guitar) input on the Solo? You could then use a stereo lead since the unbalanced Inst input will only contact the tip and sleeve. That rules out any weird 'stereo shorting/balanced input' effects.

P comes to S try Audacity..Got that!
Dave.

"midi cables nor a midi compatible interface. " KEEP! Telling noobs not to buy half assed, one lunged interfaces! Never listen.

Dave.

Not familiar with Ableton....... When you insert or enable a track to record to, is there an option (dropdown menu maybe?) to select either input 1 or 2 for that track? Guessing the MIC would be input 1 and the LINE/INST to be input 2.

When you record an analog track, it gives you the option to select 1-X depending on your interface for single input. Or you can record input 1/2 by default (you can configure more inputs to record for stereo but that is a different topic, 1/2 is set up by default) and select 1/2. That will get you 1/2 and a stereo recording.

To monitor, you either select Auto and then arm it (it doesn't record until you select the master record) or just select In. Be aware, if you select in, and arm it, record, it will not record. To record it has to be in Auto and armed.

I normally put it in Auto, arm it and play through until I am ready to record. But I do use the In a lot when going through VSTs to determine what sound I want. Either way works.

You can also create two tracks and record on channel 1 on one track and channel two on the other track. That way you control the pan. But once again, a different topic.

"midi cables nor a midi compatible interface. " KEEP! Telling noobs not to buy half assed, one lunged interfaces! Never listen.

Dave.

I got this as a gift when I was 17 and never had a problem with it before, I'm now 21. Don't be like that.

Not familiar with Ableton....... When you insert or enable a track to record to, is there an option (dropdown menu maybe?) to select either input 1 or 2 for that track? Guessing the MIC would be input 1 and the LINE/INST to be input 2.

Yes! I must have been totally blind to it before but that was the problem, I had input 1 selected the whole time. Thank you for your help!

I got this as a gift when I was 17 and never had a problem with it before, I'm now 21. Don't be like that.

Awww! Don't mind me Scuz! Just an old valvejockey who sees peeps buying stuff that they will be pissed off with in a year's time.

If it works for you..Great.

Dave.

Back