Help With Podcast Audio Setup (Diagram provided)

SyDiko

Hi Guys,

Thank you for taking a peek at my thread!

Basically, I have a semi-established solo podcast series running, and recording it is pretty straight forward. My current setup consists of a decent XLR mic running into a Fast Track Pro and it all comes together with Adobe Audition.

The problem I'm having is that I've acquired a virtual co-host and we've decided that Skype would be the best solution for the Podcast. However, recording skype audio is crappy via computer software (Pamela mainly) and it's extremely difficult to edit/mix/master in the long run because I literally have to rerecord myself. I'm thinking its my Fast Track Pro that is causing the audio issues.

So, I've done some research and basically came up with this diagram based on other podcasters that utilize virtual guests and hosts. And, this is where I need some advice:

My Diagram:
podcast_setup.JPG

So as you can see from the above picture, the xlr mic is going into the mixer/interface, which is sending my audio to my laptop via mic-in (1/4) jack... All audio from the laptop is sent out the speaker/headphone (1/4) jack back to the mixer, which is sending ALL the audio via USB to the computer. (This is probably 100% wrong, but this is what I gathered from an evenings worth of research.)

That said, I wouldn't mind moving to a USB Mixer and use my Fast Track Pro just for the MIDI I/O, but I won't if advised otherwise.

I guess my questions are:

Is the above diagram viable?

If yes,
What is the best budget mixer roughly <= $300?
(I was thinking maybe a Allen & Heath ZED10FX? This level of mixer is likely overkill though, but I wouldn't mind playing with it as music/recording is a personal passion. )

If no,
What is a better solutions or I take it that I can probably upgrade the interface and eliminate the laptop from the equation altogether? In either case, please educate/recommend an interface (or steps) capable of the best end results. :)

Thanks again!

Last edited:
160 views and not a single reply? I can understand that a lot of newer members post about podcasting, but I've searched and none of the results return any leads to my particular scenario. I was hoping to at least be bashed for over complicating something (potentially) simple - which would give me hints at the direction I need to go.

Anywho, sorry for the double post - but I suppose I can update my thread too. (Should prove that I'm not a troll.)

Last night I had to return an item to guitar center and decided to inquire about hardware for my podcasting needs. He recommended the AKAI EIE Pro (usb interface,) which went for a little over $200. Does anyone have experience with this particular interface? Also, he was saying that I could connect my laptop to the AKAI's rear usb hub + XLR mic to the front and use the AKAI EIE as an audio device hub?! This doesn't sound right to me, because by reading and watching some videos that rear hub looks as though its for expanding the total ports? However, one guy did hook up his AKAI midi controller to it as well.

Again, I was very iffy about it, so I didn't purchase it, but is the above also something that can be done?

Cause this is not straight forward.

First, is this live? If not, best you can do is record each voice on separate tracks and mix. So, on the DAW, have the Skype input on one channel and mic on another. That way you can control the mix for the mix down.

Example, Mic channel host track, Skype virtual host track. You should be able to split them out. If you do this, you can then process the virtual host's voice independent and get a better mix.

If I lost something, then help me understand.

I think I understand what you're asking but:

Let me get this straight: You're conducting an interview/conversation via skype, but you want to be able to record it and publish it later.
Ideally your friends voice would be recorded from skype, but your voice would be direct for better quality, right?

If that's the case it's not too hard to set up.
On mac I'd do this all inside one computer with soundflower (virtual I/O), but I'm not sure that's available to you.

So,
Plug your mic into 'input one' of the fast track pro.
Open an audio session in your daw and arm a track with input one. "one two-one two"

Now, set up the laptop with skype. Make sure that when your chap speaks he can be heard through the lappy speakers.
Use whatever cable you need (1/8" to 14"?) to run the laptop's output input 'input two' of the fast track.
I wouldn't worry if it's a headphone output. If it is, just make sure it's not set to 100% volume.
Set input two on the interface to "line" rather than "inst".

Set up a second track in your daw and arm it with input two.

Now if you speak, you're recorded directly onto input one.
If your pal speaks he's recorded directly onto input two.
You can use eq and comps. You have full independent mix control.
You can hear him through the daw (headphones recommended), but he can't hear you.......

Set skype/laptop to 'hear' you from the built in mic. Ok, it'll sound a little crappy, but the only person hearing it your pal so it doesn't matter.
This should do away with the need for feeding things back and forth through a mixer.

If you need this to be a live podcast, the advice might be slightly different.
That just depends how capable your podcast software is.

Is that useful?

Ahh, thank you both for the info - it does make sense, but I have some questions!! :D

Let me find a fast track pro image and do some arrows and text so I can see if I understand this better.

Attachments

• fast track setup.jpg
    fast track setup.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Don't be afraid to experiment, you can use the Skype test loop to try what works best.

Let me tell you, you guys are life savers, almost dropped $300 on equipment I don't need.

Here is the image and arrows based on my understanding of what you guys are proposing. Hopefully, I'm on the right track (pun intended lol!)

View attachment 81642

And, what do I do about getting my voice signal via XLR back to the laptop so he can hear me?

Also, is 1/4 TSR to XLR a good idea or should I use another method to get the audio from laptop to fast track pro?

Let me tell you, you guys are life savers, almost dropped $300 on equipment I don't need.
No problem. Nothing quite like saving a penny or two. ;)

Also, is 1/4 TSR to XLR a good idea or should I use another method to get the audio from laptop to fast track pro?

Nope. :eek:

• Microphone goes into fast track pro channel one - XLR to XLR - Inst/line switch doesn't apply to XLR ins.
  • Skype return goes into fast track pro channel two - 1/8" to 1/4" cable.
    The maudio 1/4" input expects line level signal level. It will 'like' your laptop output much better than the XLR input will.

And, what do I do about getting my voice signal via XLR back to the laptop so he can hear me?

I propose you don't.
He doesn't need a high quality return from your DAW, and doing that complicates matters greatly.
Just let him hear you through the laptop's built in mic.
It's skype.....he can hear you anyway. ;)

Just cos you happen to be recording your voice doesn't mean he needs to hear that recording.

I'm saying all this like it's fact, but it is just one way to skin a cat.
I think it's probably the simplest way.

EDIT.
Sorry if this is patronising, but you know the maudio inputs are combo ones, right?
They'll accept a TRS connector for line or instrument level, but they'll also accept an XLR connector for mic level.
Of course, you can only use one or the other at any time, per input,

Last edited:
No problem. Nothing quite like saving a penny or two. ;)

Nope. :eek:

• Microphone goes into fast track pro channel one - XLR to XLR - Inst/line switch doesn't apply to XLR ins.
  • Skype return goes into fast track pro channel two - 1/8" to 1/4" cable. The maudio 1/4" input expects line level signal level. It will 'like' your laptop output much better than the XLR input will.

Got it! So on the upper right-hand portion of the image, I should use the 1/4 TRS input #2 for the laptop stereo output?

Side question, do I have to use a TRS cable for this? or can I use a standard 1/4 unbalanced cable from the laptops 1/8 cable to the 1/4?

I propose you don't.
He doesn't need a high quality return from your DAW, and doing that complicates matters greatly.
Just let him hear you through the laptop's built in mic. ;)

It's like talking to someone one the phone but you're recording your voice with a Neumann simultaneously.
They dude on the phone just hears the norm, yeah?

I think this is where I'm having a hard time.

By doing it this way wouldn't track 2 on the DAW also pick up my voice; since its returning all the audio from the laptop? This audio would also include the laptops built-in mic audio, which would also be sent back to the fast track pro? (Please, correct me if I'm wrong of course.)

I'm saying all this like it's fact. It's just one way to skin a cat, but probably the simplest way.

EDIT.
Sorry if this is patronising, but you know the maudio inputs are combo ones, right?
They'll accept a TRS connector for line or instrument level, but they'll also accept and XLR connector for mic level.
Of course, you can only use one or the other at any time, per input,

Definitely not patronizing, this stuff is good to know - but I'm not sure that I follow what you mean?

Got it! So on the upper right-hand portion of the image, I should use the 1/4 TRS input #2 for the laptop stereo output?
Yehp. That's it.
Side question, do I have to use a TRS cable for this? or can I use a standard 1/4 unbalanced cable from the laptops 1/8 cable to the 1/4?

There is a difference and it can be important, but for what you're doing I'm not sure it'll matter.

I think this is where I'm having a hard time.

By doing it this way wouldn't track 2 on the DAW also pick up my voice; since its returning all the audio from the laptop? This audio would also include the laptops built-in mic audio, which would also be sent back to the fast track pro? (Please, correct me if I'm wrong of course.)

I'm reasonably sure that skype doesn't let you hear your own voice but certainly check to make sure.
If it does, all you have do to is set up a sidechain compressor in your daw.
IE. When track one makes noise, squash the crap out of track two.
That's the same thing you hear on radio when they talk over music.

Definitely not patronizing, this stuff is good to know - but I'm not sure that I follow what you mean?

Take a look at the connector.
It has a round hole in the middle for a 1/4" connector.
It also has the appropriately spaced holes for an XLR connector.
The contacts in your interface are NOT common between these two sets, so it 'knows' what type of cable you plugged in.

XLR goes to mic pre, TRS bypasses it, or at least goes through some different path.

Okay, I think I got it!!

and, I think you're right about not hearing your own voice in Skype - not sure what I was thinking (not cearly that's for sure!!) But it comes with being a noob at this stuff. :D

Take a look at the connector.
It has a round hole in the middle for a 1/4" connector.
It also has the appropriately spaced holes for an XLR connector.
The contacts in your interface are NOT common between these two sets, so it 'knows' what type of cable you plugged in.

XLR goes to mic pre, TRS bypasses it, or at least goes through some different path.

Okay so, what you're telling me is that each XLR input (below) can take a 1/4 input as well in that center hole??? That's weird and I would have never thought to stick anything in there lol, that's why I was confused I guess.

fast track 2.JPG

So do I even need to use the inputs on the back of the fast track if the XLR input 2 can take a 1/4 unbalanced signal from the laptop? o_O;

Okay so, what you're telling me is that each XLR input (below) can take a 1/4 input as well in that center hole??? That's weird and I would have never thought to stick anything in there lol, that's why I was confused I guess.

That's exactly right. Obviously each will take XLR or 1/4" - Not both at the same time.
If you plug in a 1/4", the line/inst switch has effect.
If you plug in an XLR the switch does nothing.

So do I even need to use the inputs on the back of the fast track if the XLR input 2 can take a 1/4 unbalanced signal from the laptop? o_O;

The front inputs have got you covered.
Erm...There aren't any on the back. :eek:

Well, there's a digital one that's not relevant here and there are inserts (not the same as inputs) but again, not really useful here.

Here, maybe this'll be useful.

connectors.png

You can even see the copper XLR contacts in my lower left combo socket.
Those won't touch a TRS connector, see?

Makes total sense now!!! And it makes even more sense now that I know there are 2 types of XLR inputs you can encounter!! :)

I guess my last and final question is, what type of cable works best for this??? I'm guessing 1/8 (3.5mm) to 1/4th standard correct?

I guess my last and final question is, what type of cable works best for this??? I'm guessing 1/8 (3.5mm) to 1/4th standard correct?

For laptop into interface?
Yeah, that's what you'd need.

If you have a guitar lead and a drop down adapter that'd do rightly,
or the opposite. One of those 3.5mm cables with a 1/4" adapter.

The sort of things you'll find in any respectable man-drawer. :p

For laptop into interface?
Yeah, that's what you'd need.

If you have a guitar lead and a drop down adapter that'd do rightly,
or the opposite. One of those 3.5mm cables with a 1/4" adapter.

The sort of things you'll find in any respectable man-drawer. :p

Awesome, I do have the adapter, but I think I'm all out of cables... Gonna have to make a radio shack run after work. :guitar:

And again, guys - thank you for the help and advice, cant wait to try this as soon as I get home! :D

Back