Help with my problem recording

BruceFruit

Hi, I've set up a very little tiny budget studio in my flat consisting of a Samson CO1U USB Mic and my Acer Laptop. I record one track of guitar, but then when i come to lay another track over the top of it, the second track is late and out of time with my guitar. Why is this? Somebody has said that it will be my laptops soundcard and I need to get a new one, but I want to definitely make sure what the problem uis before I go spending money on things trying to fix it.

Any help would be very wonderful :)

Bruce

What you have is a latency problem, an audio interface (external soundcard) of some kind would be the solution. But you won't be able to use your USB mic with it, you will need to get a mic that works with an XLR cord.

Or, you could just use what you have to record your second track, it will come out a little behind the other, so you just nudge it over a little bit.

I'm not too good on the topic of latency in PCs, but I've heard the problem could be with your ASIO drivers. Make sure you have the proper, most up-to-date drivers for your soundcard. ASIO4ALL is supposed to be good too, you might want to check it out.

Those USB mics are basically made for PODCASTING (internet radio chat shows).

The mini-soundcard they have inside them is not made for what we do.

Sell it and get a standard mic and interface.... you'll be a LOT happier.

This is the correct answer. USB mics are not suitable for any application where you may want to overdub anything. You need an interface that has the inputs and outputs integrated in one unit and which offers low-latency hardware monitoring.

There should be a sticky warning people about USB mics.

Right, I've managed to sort it out with ASIO4ALL and now theres no latency. The only thing is, how do I listen to what I am recording whilst I am recording it? I clicked the Monitor Echo but then it only came out of the left headphone, and when i played it back that track still only played from the left. I know it's something really simple I have to do but I can't figure it out..

Right, I've managed to sort it out with ASIO4ALL and now theres no latency. The only thing is, how do I listen to what I am recording whilst I am recording it? I clicked the Monitor Echo but then it only came out of the left headphone, and when i played it back that track still only played from the left. I know it's something really simple I have to do but I can't figure it out..

I'm using Cakewalk Sonar by the way :)

Again, monitoring is a huge problem with usb mics.

Go back and read my previous post.... you REALLY need to ditch it and get an interface.

Back