Help - Missing Plugins

secretsound5

NO MUSIC = NO LIFE
As I'm somewhat new to working 'in the box' I put this here and also in the 'Sonar' thread.
Hey all, I've gone from Sonar 'Home Studio' to 'Artist' and then to 'Professional'. Still learning my way around when I took advantage of 'WAVES" plugin sale and bought a dozen of them. Installed them via Waves Central and things were good. Until last night when i fired up Sonar and all the Waves plugins and almost half of the other ones were gone! All I get is a blue box that says "VST scan, searching for plugins" which you always get upon starting the program. Now it won't go away nor find my plugins. Any and all help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You should be able to tell Sonar where to look for the plugs.
Ideally, when you install plugs...you tell the installation which folder to put the plugs in (or you do it manually afterwards)...otherwise they could end up in a variety of folders, depending on the plug's installation setup.
I have a dedicated "VST" folder...and everything goes in there.

With Waves...their installation has a mind of its own, and it doesn't ask where you want it....but, all you really need is the WavesShell____.dll file to be moved to your "VST" (or whatever folder you like).

Most DAW apps like to see all the plugs in one location...so that you can set that as your default. So if they are scattered across many folders...it will always have to scan many folders.

You can uninstall them all....create a specific folder...and then make sure they all go in there.
Also...with some installs...you have to to a scan one time so the DAW knows they are there.

Thanks for the speedy reply. Yes, they are in several places so looks like the thing to do will be to uninstall them all, create a single folder and reinstall everything in it. Thank you again.

Not necessarily. For most plugs, you can simply drag the DLL files over to the new folder. Better yet, copy them over, leaving them in the old place as well.

Back