help me Obi Wan's, y'all are my only hope

Rattlesquid

I've decided to give up on searching the net, and i don't know what else to do, so i'm hoping you can help me

My laptop met his final day today, therefore I had to format and resurrect my 6 year old HP 653, knowing - and very excited - that I could get back to recording some good guitar tunes on Reaper with Guitar rig (as I had done for years on the same laptop, same version of windows) so to clarify, I know there is no compatibility problems, nothing wrong with my hardware as I've double checked.

However, trying to set it up this time, there is no Line-in option, there used to be before the format.. i have guitar rig, reaper, asio4all installed, as well as Realtek audio manager, but tweaking settings have still not resolved my issue, which is... dum dum dum

...No program, not even my standard input, finds my guitar, :spank: when i plug it in, the notification appears every time "you just plugged a device into your audio jack" so something is clicking, but only gets that far.. i'm new to forums, never bothered because i always eventually found a way around my works.. but this time I've just hit the wall.

So if you need more details, let me know.. if you have any suggestions, let me know.. I've done it all on this same laptop before, but since the format i think I've wiped something necessary for my needs. I might be missing something stupid, nonetheless, i could use some help.. please point me in the right direction, I really want to get back to my recordings :guitar:

Thanks to you in C# minor

Regards, Squid

So, as I understand it, you are plugging 'A Device' into the input 3.5mm jack on the laptop?

What? An interface? A guitar? I suggest you K.I.S.Sir to begin with and use Audacity. That should prove out the signal path in the laptop.

Dave.

yeah, Might not have made that too clear. When my guitar is plugged in to my laptop, the notification does show, but that's all.

well i don't see why i should have to cut back and leave the rest behind, I've done it all before on this same laptop so it definitely is capable of doing so, its just a question of how.. I'd rather not have to delete all the things I'm used to and get a recording program I'm not familiar with using as well as the software I already have. I'll try audacity and see if it picks anything up from my guitar, but it's not something I'd like for the long term, IF it happens to work

There is a solution, and i hope someone here has that

As for audacity, same thing. doesn't pick up the guitar due to lack of the Line-in input.. Its just not there anymore. and I cant seem to get it back

It's still unclear to me what soundcard you are trying to use on this computer. (Couldn't find an "HP 653" when googling.)

The 1/8" (3.5mm) jack on a notebook would probably be TRRS to accept a plug that it would detect as either a headset (mic in, stereo out) or simply output. If you're not converting your guitar signal to the TRRS plug (do you mean iRig?), it's not going to see any input, so won't present that in the interface.
trrs-diagram2.jpg

Thanks for the reply mate, but as I've stated a few times previously, I've used all the same cables/jacks/ports just fine prior to the clean format on my laptop, so there is absolutely no Hardware issue here, with the soundcard nor the jacks, I know that much for sure.

I changed some settings in realtek manager, namely "Separate all input jacks as independent input devices", when my guitar was plugged in, and it opened up a new recording device in my desktop recording settings "Mic at front panel (black)" which is where my guitar is plugged in, I turned on listen to device.. and viola, i could hear my guitar coming through my laptop as i wanted..

but after opening reaper again.. the sound went away, yet the device is still showing up on the desktop recording device manager, but not detecting any sound anymore.. so again, I know its working with no hardware issues, but somehow I need to get it to keep working.. And my hypothesis is that its all to do with settings.. and I've hit a dead end

Did you do a restore or a new install? Seems like there are drivers missing. Even if it shows up, the drivers would make it work correctly as Windows drivers are just the basic functionality. See if you can find the drivers that go with your card. Either that or the input could have a short.

It was a clean install, however i do have all the drivers. its possible the input jack has something loose. as i have to wobble my headphone jack around while its in there to get some decent sound.. so i might have to open it up and give it some surgery.

Attached is the internal sound recording system for this HP i3 laptop.

It is not, as you see, 'Realtek' but IDT Audio. Now that might be a peculiarity of the HP Motherboard or that Win 7 has move on from 'Realshit'?

There IS NO LINE INPUT! Just 'External Microphone' and if you want to feed line'ish levels* into it you need to crank the internal gain waaaay down! (note that my setup is for 'Stereo Mix'? This is so I can grab internet audio.)

I DO think you should be able to use that laptop again! ***t! son was using an EIGHT hundred MEG laptop with 500meg of ram and a 20G hard drive a few years ago! Worked fine with an M-Audio Fast track pro. Even gave pretty low latency from a dumb MIDI kbd!

I really do advise you to get an AI. Even the Behringer UCA-202 with a pedal works pretty well.

*Nothing hotter than neg ten mind! Err? Thought you said "absolutely NO hardware issues!"? What's with the 'wobbly jacks' then?

Dave.

Attachments

• win recording.png
    win recording.png
    79.1 KB · Views: 7
yeah that's what i've managed to get back up after some settings on the realtek manager, and any wobbly jacks was from me beating the sh!t out of my laptop from frustration, otherwise the rest is working just fine xD, that was more to avoid answers like "try a different cable, try an adapter, buy this and get that" since I know its possible to get done with what I have.. i'm sure ill figure it out in time, but thanks for the advice Dave, much appreciate your time.

seems like my last reply didn't go through, but that's the one i was searching for Dave, I got it to show up eventually but ended up with no sound coming through, and the No hardware issues was just to prevent answers like "try a new cable" "your soundcard isn't compatible" "turn it off and on again" :facepalm: but alas! i finally got everything working the way i wished with some tweaks and fiddling about with some settings and things. thanks a ton for your help regardless! :D

If you used to plug in your guitar and it would show up in Guitar Rig/Reaper, but now it won't... sounds like it's just a configuration issue with either Reaper or Guitar Rig. You said you formatted the computer? If so, all of the settings you had before are gone and everything has been reset to default. So it sounds like you need to reset Reaper to accept your computer input - you need to set the input of the channel to the computer input where the guitar is plugged in.

Have you checked the IO settings on the track in Reaper to make sure they are pointing at the right input and that you have the track armed and monitoring on?

Back