Help me choose my first mic!

RonnieNine

Hello everyone. I'm planning to buy a microphone for recording vocals (singing from acoustic covers, to metal songs). As I said, I only need it for vocals, and my main concern is that I sound very "nasally". It's like, there's no voice coming out from my mouth, only from my nose. It's funny because I only hear that on recordings. Even when singing live, I can hear myself in the monitors, and notice no nasal sounds, but when it comes to recording, it appears. I will try to correct that with some lessons.. but right now, I need a microphone. I have a Focusrite Scarlett audio interface, and I'm using ableton for recording. Which microphone would suit me the best? I have a VERY low budget of 100-150 Euros or usd, and I thought about going with the shure sm58 flagship..

Hello everyone. I'm planning to buy a microphone for recording vocals (singing from acoustic covers, to metal songs). As I said, I only need it for vocals, and my main concern is that I sound very "nasally". It's like, there's no voice coming out from my mouth, only from my nose. It's funny because I only hear that on recordings. Even when singing live, I can hear myself in the monitors, and notice no nasal sounds, but when it comes to recording, it appears. I will try to correct that with some lessons.. but right now, I need a microphone. I have a Focusrite Scarlett audio interface, and I'm using ableton for recording. Which microphone would suit me the best? I have a VERY low budget of 100-150 Euros or usd, and I thought about going with the shure sm58 flagship..

Well the 58 is of course most peoples default position but microphone technology HAS moved on in 50yrs you know!
Especially since you seem to think you have a "problem" voice I would suggest something with a flatter response and a more extended HF end? Small Diaphragm Capacitor. The neutral, flat response of such microphones will allow easier EQ post tracking in case you really need it.

Dave.

So basically I need to avoid those large diaphragm cheap mics (rode nta1, at2020) right? I'd really like to get rid of that sounding, using eq or whatever.

So basically I need to avoid those large diaphragm cheap mics (rode nta1, at2020) right? I'd really like to get rid of that sounding, using eq or whatever.

Well yes, a bit! Many LDCs have an attitude that suits some voices but not others so you could compound the felony!

SDCs on the other hand tend to be neutral, a dB or six lower in sensitivity allowing closer working (pop shielded of course!) and so lower room intrusion and noises off. If in budget try to find one with a pad since then the sensitivity drops to dynamic figures and permits very close yodelling and little chance of overload.

Such a mic is really the Swiss Army Knife of transducers and can be used on instruments of all sorts and loud guitar cabs.

Dave.

I hear you. So I just listened to some examples of recording on thomann, and for example the at2020 sounded smoother, and the 58 a little bit harsher and BRIGHTER. However, my room is not acustically treated and it's never going to be fully, so LDC's are a nono. Could you tell me a good small diaphragm mic or I should just stick with the 58 and you say it won't sound nasal, honky (bright) if eqed..

I hear you. So I just listened to some examples of recording on thomann, and for example the at2020 sounded smoother, and the 58 a little bit harsher and BRIGHTER. However, my room is not acustically treated and it's never going to be fully, so LDC's are a nono. Could you tell me a good small diaphragm mic or I should just stick with the 58 and you say it won't sound nasal, honky (bright) if eqed..

Comparisons are odious! An LDC and a very insensitive dynamic are so different, especially in how used, that unless YOU are testing them other people/rooms/preamps can't really be relied upon IMHO.

The rest of your post confuses me a bit. (not hard!) What I am saying...ALL I am saying is that both many LDCs and certainly the 58s have a character. In general SDCs do not and so might be a good platform from which to start treating your voice. (and I don't want to be rude but have you seen an ENT doctor?)

Dave.

I fully understand you now. :D. Oh it's not about anything ENT related, it's just my singing style which comes totally from my throat and nose not from my .. you know, I think it's called diaphragm. I will sort that out.. somehow. Is it normal to hate my voice? Anyways, I'll stick to the 58 with a pop filter, OR if I find a better alternative from SDCs. I'm sorry that I confused you, might be because english is my 3rd language? I'm not that good with it. After all, I'm only 16, looking for a "decent" (not a good one, no money for that) mic for recording some covers and some of my stuff, with almost no money, because I don't have a job atm, just scraped all I have and earned so far so I can do what I REALLY love. I came here to find proper mic names, but got waaay more than that, so thank you a lot.
From SDCs I found these which might be in my price range:
Audio-Technica MB 4K - Thomann UK
Shure PGA181 - Thomann UK
Shure Beta 57 A - Thomann UK
(Btw, I once sang in a shure beta 57, and even if it's not the best one out there, IT WAS AWESOME. It wasn't meaty, wasn't honky, it was pure highs, I could hear my voice in the PA system just like I hear it without singing into mics. I loved it.)

Last edited:
If it were me with that budget, I would go with a Studio Projects B-1 or a Behringer B-1. There's nothing wrong with going with SM 58, but I prefer the detail of a condensor. Plus you could use it to record acoustic guitar. So it would be a multi purpose mic, which is great when you're starting out your recording journey. Also consider this....if you have no room treatment, throw up some blankets around you when you record. Or if you have a walk in closet full of clothes, record your vocals and acoustic guitar in there. Best of luck to you lad. I love seeing youngsters getting into recording!

Oh, I forgot to say that I will use it live too..
Anyways, thanks for the wishes and for recommending those mics. Another one gets in my list, so it goes like this:
-Shure beta 57 a
-Shure sm58
-Shure pga181
-AT MB 4K
-Studio Projects B-1

Could anyone say anything about these mics if you own it?
The thing is, I really can't choose between these 6.

Last edited:
My 2 cents. I suggest going back to a plain vanilla SM57. Works just fine for me both live and for recording. I know everyone says it's an instrument mic, but I've used it for my vocal for years. Of course, my voice sounds kinda like a frog croaking in a garbage can, but from my experience a 57 rejects alot of other stage or side noise better than a 58. Probably be shot for saying this, but again, just my opinion.

I have attended alot of concerts and seen so many videos from yesteryear with the lead vocalist eating up a 57...Tom Petty, Ian Anderson, lots of others using a 57 live. Hell, they even used them to mike acoustic guitars on stage at the Concert for Bangeldesh (spelling??). Inexpensive, rugged, great for micing amps and instruments, and in my view, great on some voices. Even croaky old worn out ones. Solid mic if you'rs just getting started. One you will (should) never throw away.

Ok, if you need to use it live as well, then I would suggest a Shure SM 57 as well. It's a great bang for the buck mic. It can be used on just about any instrument, and vocals.

So I took the 58 out from the list, since the beta 57A would be better. And some others too! I found better mics with your help, so considering a SDC, a good studio mike, and two all-purpose mics, here's my new list:
Shure sm57 (all-purpose)

Shure beta 57a (same as above, but more for vocals, which suits me better)

Shure pga181 (SDC)

SP B1 (Studio, LDC)

Update! A guy will lend me a 58 beta. If itt will sound right, I'll stick to dynamics. Else, I'll go for a LDC or that SDC

Back